Friday, August 22, 2008

If I Ever Do This Again...

... ("this" being having another baby), I plan to do two things differently.

First, I'm going to have a "nap nanny." I got this concept from Lorilee Craker's book O for a Thousand Nights to Sleep (which I previously wrote about here), and I think it's a wonderful sanity-saving idea: to have someone else be in charge of the children when it's time for naps/quiet playtime. One thing I was reminded of during the early months of Tobin's life is that, on a day of utter exhaustion, the only thing worse than no nap is an interrupted nap...and oh my, is it ever worse! I remember times when I worked so hard to get everyone's schedule coordinated so that I would be able to nap, only to sink into bed and fall asleep instantly before hearing someone yell out, "MOM-MY, WIPE ME!" or some such urgent need. Up to do the task at hand. Back in bed to fall asleep. Up because the baby cried. Back to bed. Up again. It drove me C-R-A-Z-Y. I used to think to myself, "I would be all right if only I didn't need to sleep!" In my temporary insanity, I seriously contemplated how I could arrange things so that I just didn't need to sleep. Because that whole business of interrupted sleep was driving me bananas.

So, if the situation ever arises again, I will beg and plead for someone to be a nap nanny for me, at least a few times a week, so that I will KNOW that I'll be able to sleep. I've found that during periods of extreme weariness, I can make it through even a tough morning if I'm confident that a time of rest is coming. But take away that assurance, and I'm liable to lose my mind. :)

Second, I'm going to pump like a veritable Holstein and store up lots and lots and lots of milk during the early weeks and months when I'm still producing excess. Now that my body has adjusted to how much Tobin drinks, I don't produce a lot of extra; and it's incredibly frustrating to sit for a half an hour or more, listening to the rhythm of the pump, and watching a few drops dribble out into the bottles. During a good pumping session these days, I get 2 ounces of milk. That's pitiful. :) So, the pump and I are not the best of friends these days; but next time (if there is a next time) will be different! Lots of pumping early on = lots of full bottles in the freezer. Because I'm learning that if I don't do it in the first few months, it's just not going to happen.

All of this, of course, is preceded by a great big IF! :)

12 comments:

Polly said...

Both of these sound like excellent ideas to me! A nap nanny--definitely! And I had to laugh at "a veritable Holstein" but I totally agree--good idea to 'store up' in the early months so that full bottles are a-plenty later on! Wise words!

Kristen said...

I definitely hear you on the pumping thing...that is something that I am going to do. With Kaylee I started pumping way after I could have because I didn't know when I could start...this one...right away...storage beware! :) Nap nanny sounds good...maybe now in fact. :)

Christin said...

yep. I'm already thinking that about the pumping thing. In fact, I'm planning on going to get some herbs that help in the whole milk production thing. B/c with R. I don't think I was making enough from the get-go. and it killed me to even think that I'd have to supplement with formula. So this go round. HELLO PUMP and HELLO HERBS. From the get-go.

I had to use the pump form Day One after Charis (because she was a preemie) and I seriously made enough for triplets. very hungry triplets. :)

pyrotechny said...

...ohhh how I remember...GOLD..is what we called breastmilk! I learned to plan ahead and store a little bit at a time....... some of my frozen bottles looked like rock strata with all of the different layers...but it worked! Of course the nap nanny would be much helpful in this dept. too, as she would help you get the rest your body needs!

Julie said...

Thanks for the encouragement in the pumping area. This is the FIRST baby I've pumped for...can you believe it? I had to for the surgery, and then I have a conference coming up that I am storing for (in November...plenty of time). This is my motivation to KEEP GOING. What has been working for me is to pump on one side while Mairi nurses on the other (but not to get all of the milk out of the side she hasn't been on, yet, only an inch or so) and then switch. Also, I nurse her on demand anyway, which helps with my supply. Finally, I do the late night thing that I believe YOU told me about, and pump before I go to bed...and usually get almost a full bottle. But I'm in those "early days", so I will heed your words of wisdom ;-)

(I love your big "IF".)

Elizabeth said...

I love your ideas! Thanks for sharing! I gleam from you Davene! :) BTW, you need to post some pictures of you with the kids! I haven't seen you in a while! :)

Crystal said...

"IF"? You're such a good mommy, I think you should just say "when". ;-) Any child would be blessed to call you "mommy".

Margie said...

Great ideas! I'm in need of a nap nanny now. This continued waking up 2-3 times a night with Sarah has really wiped me out and Elizabeth doesn't nap anymore, so I'm an exhausted mess. Which, by the way, is why I haven't posted in a while. Am hoping she gets back to a longer night's sleep soon. Sorry for venting on YOUR blog.

Davene said...

Margie, you can vent on my blog anytime! If I lived closer to you, I'd be glad to be a nap nanny for you! Sure hope Sarah's sleep improves very soon...

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

You make great points about the naps and the pumping. I am pregnant with #2 and just starting to think about how to handle it differently this time. The nap thing is key. I couldn't agree more. And the pumping...great reminder for me. Isn't it funny the things you forget though? I hope I am ready to do it all again!
-Carrie

Mamajil said...

oh a nap nanny is a great idea!!!

I never have pumped....nursing on demand gives me that time with the baby that can't be delegated and it makes me stop, and slow down which is good for me because I tend to go wide open and not slow down....but I do have lots of friends that pump...I am gonna pass your tip on to them :)

Sally said...

I hate pumping. I didn't have enough milk for Paul and tried everything under the sun, including pumping for extra stimulation. I got sick and tired of it. For Hannah, I had more than enough milk, until, of course, I got sick. Hannah didn't have the appetite Paul did, and she still doesn't. Paul had a bottomless pit. Anyway, I hope the pumping works well for those who need it, and I do it when I need to.