Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Grateful for a Good Deal

One of the items on my "back-burner shopping list" (not the top of the priority list for spending money on, but something I'd like to get someday) has been another set of sheets for the boys' beds. We really only have one set per bed for Josiah's and David's beds: a dark blue one for Josiah and a dark red one for David. Incidentally, I once tried to switch them and give Josiah the red and David the blue, but that didn't go over very well. Are these boys creatures of habit or what? ;) We do have one extra set of sheets that fit their beds: an almost ancient set of white sheets that have shrunk enough to be quite a good strength exercise when stretching them around to each corner of the mattress...either that, or a test to see how much frustration one can tolerate without resorting to angry mutterings when one side of the fitted sheet gets tucked in as the other side pops out...and around the bed we go to continue the high-impact sport of making beds with too-small sheets. There's nothing like a little anger to get the heart pumping.

To avoid that detestable situation, my usual mode of operation has been to take the good sheets off the beds in the morning, wash and dry them, then return them to the beds before nightfall--consequently, no real need for extra sets. It wasn't terribly convenient during times of sickness of the stomach-bug sort or when David wet the bed (which still occasionally happens, although he's doing tremendously in this area...he'll love reading this when he's 50, I'm sure); but I was having a hard time justifying the expense of new sheets when there were other needs in our family--and, of course, in the world!

Recently, however, we got an advertisement in the mail, including a gift card for $10 off anything at Kohl's. On the day before it expired, I finally got a chance to go in there; and look at what I found! A red sheet set drastically reduced which I could use the gift card for and therefore purchase for a grand total of...are you ready?...$3.66. I was thrilled! :)
From the original price of $34.99 (plus tax)...
...to my cost of $3.66. It couldn't have worked out better!
Sometimes it's just the "little" things like this that make me pause and breathe a "thank you" to the Arranger of every detail, the Orchestrator of every moment of my life.

11 comments:

Sally said...

What a good find! Doesn't it make you feel good to save money and get something you need! I hope they aren't ones you'll have to wrestle onto the mattress!

Polly said...

That was a great deal!!!!!

Michelle said...

I love new sheets and I love nearly free sheets even better.

Take Care
Michelle

Mamajil said...

What a great deal!! GOD is so good!!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Hooray! I know what you mean...we can thank God for arranging even those little things in our lives! He wants to give us cute red sheets for our kids' rooms! :)
-Carrie

Lisa said...

NICE! Aren't deals so fun and energizing??!!

Unknown said...

Well done! Having two sets of sheets for each bed really is useful. Flylady suggests you store the second set right under the mattress -- it keeps them pressed, ready to go and takes up no storage space! How's that for a tip?

Anonymous said...

It's the everyday blessings that are so great. He always knows what we need and when we need it. And also knows what we want and if we should have it!

Celebrating your great find with you!!

Julie said...

Isn't it amazing how God gives us, not only what we need, but often even those things that just make life easier?
Great bargain hunting!

Margie said...

I love those moments. Another reminder of the details He sees to.

New Mom said...

God is just so kind to us, isn't He. That was a deal to make even me jealous! You know how much I LOVE a good deal ;P