Monday, August 25, 2008

Blog-worthy

When my mother made her way up the hill to our house this afternoon, she announced cheerfully, "I have a peach pie in the oven. Would you like me to bring it for dinner?" Would I?! No question about it, since Mother's peach pie is one of my all-time favorite pies and, despite the six bushels of peaches that we've canned/frozen/eaten fresh so far this summer, neither Mother nor I had made a pie so I was more than ready to eat one!

Before supper, Dad asked if a picture of the pie was blog-worthy. I had not thought of taking a picture of it since I was preoccupied with simply eating it; but I quickly decided that it was a splendid idea, provided the pie-maker was in the picture, too. Here she is, and here it is...
It's really too bad that blogs aren't equipped with scratch-and-sniff technology--or even better, reach-out-your-fork-and-have-a-bite technology. I'm actually sorry for all of you who weren't here to have a piece of pie with us tonight! ;)

Speaking of bites of yummy food... Jeff bought these fun rising-sun (or setting-sun, depending on how you view things) plates at our favorite store (that would be Gift & Thrift) for 50 cents each last week, and I had a great time today arranging lunch for Josiah and David on them. Why simply eat when you can enjoy? Why just set food in front of children when you can turn it into a celebration? I'm always glad to find new ways to make lunch fun!
On the menu today: cherry tomatoes from the garden, shredded cheese, ravioli, mini pretzel sandwiches, a big pile of freshly-diced peaches, and one cookie with a letter on it. I put the "S" on David's plate because, as I told him, "you're SUPER!" Josiah quickly guessed my thought about the "F" on his plate: he's FANTASTIC!

12 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm glad that there isn't scratch and sniff, because I'm doing the South Beach Diet and I would have eaten my computer, LOL! I love the plates that you used for the boys.

Sarah said...

Thank you for your precious and sweet comment on my blog! Blessings.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Cute plates! And I can't help but wish for some scratch and sniff on your blog too! Peach pie sounds delicious!
-Carrie

Julie said...

sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Blackwell said...

You are such a creative mom!!! :) And that pie... ohh me oh my!!!

Unknown said...

What a darling face your mum has -- so pretty. She looks just like a grandma 'should' look.
the pie looks just as a pie should look, too!

Sally said...

Ooooohhhh, that pie looks so good! (Did your mom mention we ran into each other at Onyx Hill recently? It was nice to see your parents again!) Also, I love those plates. You do a great job of keeping your children's lives exciting.

I keep thinking I'm going to go Thrift-store browsing, but I just haven't done it yet. It's amazing what you can find.

Mamajil said...

The pie looks delicious!! I think scratch and sniff would be a delightful calorie free treat!! :)
Those plates are really cute!! I like the way you make food fun...I still want to do the muffin tin meal that you blogged about...I need to pick up some extra tins I only have 3, I need 3 more I have them on my list of things to look for at yard sales...
take care!

Davene said...

Sally, yes, my mom did mention that she saw you there! Wish I would have been along, too. :)

Lisa said...

And where is the recipe for this pie? I've got some peaches that would love to be in a pie and a stomach who would like to eat it!!:-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a great looking pie and mama to go along with it! I love how you make the everyday extraordinary!

Margie said...

I wish I had your creativity with food for the girls, but I can learn from you! I love the idea of the plates, and still haven't forgotten the muffin tin idea.