Friday, May 4, 2007

I Highly Recommend...

...a book called The Treasure Tree by John & Cindy Trent and Gary & Norma Smalley. It's subtitled Helping Kids Understand Their Personality, and we've been reading a chapter a day in learning time. Josiah is loving it!!! We have one more chapter to go; and today he said, "When we're done with it, can we read it all over again, the whole thing in one day?" The illustrations are delightful--so happy and cheerful and colorful. The whole classification of personalities takes me back to my college days when I was just learning about the lion/otter/golden retriever/beaver system of categorization. During my last two years of college, there were 5 of us girls who lived together; and we became very close and continue to stay in touch. I vividly remember discussions together about who was what...I remember that we were blessed to have an otter (Dori)...and the rest of us were a mix of golden retriever/beaver, I think. Life can go nowhere if too many golden retrievers get together. We can be completely sensitive to each others' feelings--and completely incapable of making any decisions! :) With Josiah, I think he's part lion, part beaver--he certainly can make decisions (for himself and everyone else around him!), and he's also very detail-oriented and is quick to correct me or anyone else if we don't say something exactly right. Although David is young and too difficult to classify, I would say that at this point, I see some otter in him. Isn't it great that God made us different so that we need each other???

No comments: