Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Just One of the Geniuses Living in Our House





Not too long ago, I was praying--consistently, fervently--that God would unlock David's lips and give him the gift of speech because David--well, David just didn't talk. He had a few sounds for communicating; but he didn't use very many words at all, and we (me more than Jeff, I think) were getting concerned, even to the point of considering speech therapy for him. That's really a whole other story that I fully intend to write about someday...
In any case, at the end of last week, I was reading back through my previous blog posts, and I came across one way back in January that showed Josiah and David TOGETHER putting these magnetic letters on the chart...and I thought, "Hmmm, I bet David could do this all by himself now." So I tried it...moved the chart around to the side of the refrigerator facing the bench...put all the lower-case letters on that bench...then asked David if he could put the letters back on the chart. That child is amazing. He did it! He really did it!!! I think he could find the right place for ALL the letters! In fact, I was so excited after he did it the first time that I took off all the letters so he could do it again; and I think he knew the letters so well that he was actually teasing me by putting them in the wrong places occasionally (like after a child learns how to put a hat on, then he puts it on backwards on purpose to make you laugh). That boy!
I wasn't the only one excited though--Josiah would yell gleefully and clap and dance around, and David would say "Yay!" and clap loudly and look around to make sure I saw that he got it in the right place. Our kitchen was the scene of much rejoicing--and none of it was quiet!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Wow!!! You are so blessed! Thanks for sharing with us. Of course David is a genius!