Saturday, May 12, 2007

Playing Catch-Up

One day this week, I was looking back through this blog, searching for a few posts I had written on a specific topic; and the more I scanned previous entries, the happier I was that I had this blog and the more grateful I felt that I've taken the time to do this! So often I feel that life is slipping through my fingers, and the precious parts of each day are gone--simply gone--unless I can somehow capture them. But how to lasso them? They fly so quickly, and my available time for lassoing is short!

For a number of years, I've toyed with the idea of scrapbooking. One of my sisters-in-law does a phenomenal job in that area and even has a special room in her house for it. As much as I've admired her work, I've felt completely overwhelmed by the idea of diving into that. But yet, I knew that scrapbooking was a tangible way to capture fleeting moments...and I certainly wanted to do that...but still I hesitated to plunge headlong into that endeavor. And then along came blogging, and again I hesitated to begin, instead reading other's blogs and waiting to decide whether this was something to which I could commit some time. Finally with Jeff's help, I took the plunge...and oh my, am I ever glad I did!!! It's so meaningful for me to look back over the past few months that I've recorded here. There are many things I would have forgotten already if it weren't for this blog. And I'm so grateful for how easy it is to incorporate words and pictures and have it all laid out in a nice format for me! So as I look back over the past of my blog, I'm incredibly grateful...and as I look forward to the future, I'm tremendously excited about what is yet to be written and shown and recorded in this space.

And that brings me to the subject of catching-up. Despite my desire to capture life's beautiful moments, I know beyond a doubt that I just can't catch them all. Even with this blog, so many slip through my fingers. Certainly in this past week, many things about which I wanted to write never made it here but only swirled around in my mind.

Just an aside--I find that as a stay-at-home mom, many of my daily tasks are actually not very strenuous for my mind. Shocking, I know. But really, the intellectual stimulation that comes from dicing chicken for enchiladas or planting potatoes or folding laundry is very minimal! The positive side of that is the abundant time that I have for thinking "deep" thoughts...so when the time comes to sit down and blog, I usually have an overflow of ideas--subjects that I've been tossing around mentally for a while. And after a day of simple, non-mentally-challenging tasks, I'm usually ready to have "adult conversation" in the evening...and I'm classifying blogging as "adult conversation." :) I'm sure it's different for someone with an outside job who comes home mentally tired and ready for a mind break. Anyway...where was I? Oh, yeah...catching up...

So tonight I'm going to TRY to get started with some catch-up. The entries may not be in the best order, and my thoughts may be random, but I'll give it a whirl! We'll see how far I get before collapsing from exhaustion (which I blame on staying up way too late last night to watch the movie Deja Vu with Jeff--intriguing movie, for sure!).

No comments: