Thursday, March 20, 2008

Significance

It happens every time I get an alumni newsletter from either my high school or my college. "So-and-so won this award in their field"..."This person began an organization that is making a huge difference in the lives of these people"..."We honor Alumni X for all their distinguished accomplishments through the years!" No matter how closely I read the fine print, I never see a special section honoring stay-at-home moms! :)

It's not that I question the legitimacy of my decision to make my family the highest priority (after God) in my life. It's not that I doubt the worth of what I'm doing. It's simply that I seem to think I should be able to devote myself to my husband and children...and STILL be accomplishing other "great" things on the side. How do the people in these alumni magazines do it anyway???

These kinds of thoughts swirl around in my head on a fairly regular basis, so last night I was encouraged to read these words from Max Lucado in his book And the Angels Were Silent (about the last week of Christ's life before the crucifixion):

Take this quiz.

Name the ten wealthiest men in the world.
Name the last ten Heisman trophy winners.
Name the last ten winners of the Miss America contest.
Name eight people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer prize.
How about the last ten Academy Award winners for best picture or the last decade's worth of World Series winners?

How did you do? I didn't do well either. With the exception of you trivia hounds, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday too well. Surprising how quickly we forget, isn't it? And what I've mentioned above are no second-rate achievements. These are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.

Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one.

Think of three people you enjoy spending time with.
Name ten people who have taught you something worthwhile.
Name five friends who have helped you in a difficult time.
List a few teachers who have aided your journey through school.
Name half-a-dozen heroes whose stories have inspired you.

Easier? It was for me, too. The lesson? The people who make a difference are not the ones with the credentials, but the ones with the concern.

Thanks, Max. I needed this reminder.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Hey, Friend! You're on my list of people who make a difference. I love you!

Crystal said...

Great post, Davene. That Max Lucado...he's something else. Such wisdom.

I happen to know you're exceptionally note-worthy in your chosen occupation. And I'm sure there are 3 little men-in-training (& one husband) who would elect you as the most important person in their life. :-)

((Hugs))