Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Sleeping Through the Night

...is a good, good thing. And our boy Tobin did it!!!

That's right, folks, last night Tobin slept through the night for the first time; and the angels rejoiced. Well, I don't know if they did or not...but I sure did!!!!!!!

Tobin's late feeding was at about 11:00 p.m. last evening, and he didn't really eat a whole lot. By 11:20 or so, he was tucked in his crib. A few minutes before 3:00 a.m. I heard him cry out so I prepared to get up to feed him. But before I crawled out from under my warm covers, he was quiet...so I waited. About 5 minutes later, he cried out again and then quieted down. I thought, "Well, if he's quiet, I'm not going to leave my cozy nest." :) Next thing I knew, it was 6:20 a.m. and time to give Tobin his morning feeding. Glory hallelujah! :)

Seven hours of straight sleep is a beautiful thing, folks, and does much to restore my sanity. The sun seemed a little brighter, the world a little better, today because of a simple thing called sleep.

I'm not so optimistic as to think that Tobin is past all night wakings; in fact, I'm not even sure that he'll do a repeat performance tonight of sleeping through the night. But I am grateful for his success last night and encouraged by the thought of longer, better sleep in the future. And I also know that we'll be able to stretch out his nights so that they'll be longer than just 7 straight hours...first, by moving his late night feeding earlier and earlier.

For now however, I'm simply grateful and proud of our little man! :)
~ Tobin in his swing, with an unfortunate, self-inflicted scratch on his right cheek...his little fingernails are so hard to cut, and I tremble each time I attempt it...but I must do a better job of keeping them short!

6 comments:

Misty said...

YAY!!! Isn't that first time they sleep through the night wonderful!! Elissa slept nine hours the other night and it was great!

Lisa said...

I bet you felt so good and refreshed this morning! Makes for a good Thursday!!! ;-)

Crystal said...

Congratulations, Davene! I'm joining you & the angels in rejoicing. Sleep is a wonderful thing.

Callie only woke up for one feeding last night so I'm feeling pretty hopeful that more sleep is in our near future as well. :-)

Julie said...

Yay! I, too, am rejoicing with you and gearing up for once again doing the nighttime nursing thing. It never fails that I want my babes to sleep through the night, yet the first time they do, I wake up with a start wondering what happened and if they're ok. :-)

Anonymous said...

YEAH! So glad to hear it! He is growing so well. Good job, mom! I like his smiles!

Anonymous said...

-that was from Sharon. :) Sleepy mommy in Ohio