Sunday, March 23, 2008

Scenes from Our Easter

~ two cutie pies cuddling on the couch this morning under the blanket Grandma Fisher made
~ Josiah looking under the couch for Easter eggs
~ David looking on the bookshelf for Easter eggs
~ counting them up--did we find them all?
~ David enjoying opening his Easter eggs

Our Easter egg hunt was very different from last year's. For one thing, it was just Josiah and David who participated. For another thing, David really knew what was going on this year. Yet another difference: in some of the eggs, there was a sticker (a sticker! how healthy! our boys are at ages where they still find delight in such simple treats as a sticker!)...in other eggs, there was a candy (a candy! one candy! not like the eggs FULL of candies that my brother prepared for the hunt last year!)...and in the rest of the eggs, there were a sticker and a candy (a sticker AND a candy! how extravagant!). :) The boys were delighted with it all, especially when we said they could eat ALL the candy in ALL the eggs today. We're such lenient parents. :)
*******
Not pictured in these scenes from our Easter: saying goodbye to my sister this morning who headed back to her home in Ohio...yummy breakfast with our church this morning (which is obviously a popular event because the social hall was packed)...meaningful church service where Jeff portrayed again the resurrection scene from the Easter play last weekend, and the choir my parents were in sang one of the songs from that play...lunch at home with my parents...short afternoon nap...snuggle time on the couch with Josiah while we looked through our church directory and talked about the new friends we're making there...father/son outing tonight with Jeff taking Josiah and David to the theater to see the new Dr. Seuss movie (and then probably out to eat at "Old McDonald's," as it's still called in our household). :)
*******
One thing I was contemplating this morning as I looked around the church and thought about the people we've met or reconnected with during our months of being a part there is the impression that I have of each person. Granted, the impression I have of them could be completely wrong! But when I look at someone, I tend to have a general thought about their character: "I really like her; she has a soft heart"..."he is a true worshipper; his hands dance when he worships"..."she is a hard woman"..."she is a made-up woman, too concerned about outward appearance"..."he's just going through the motions, but doesn't really lead his family spiritually"..."she's willing to be real, and I admire that about her."
As I was thinking these things this morning, I felt a warning on two levels. First, as I already mentioned, I could be entirely mistaken; and I need to be vigilant against judging someone based on quick observations. Second, when people see me, they probably make a snap judgment about me, too! What part of my character shines (or glares) through? Especially as I get older (which I'm about to do since my birthday is quickly approaching) :), I want to be aware of what about me stands out to people--not so that they'll think I'm wonderful, but so that God's light will be reflected through me (Matthew 5:16).
*******
More Easter musings in the next post...

No comments: