Friday, November 7, 2008

Doubly Thankful

To begin, a picture!

The photo below captures a peaceful sibling moment between Josiah and David last evening when they were playing (or rather, Josiah was teaching David how to play) Guess Who. It's good for me to see this picture because I've been discouraged recently at how unloving and unkind these two sons of mine are to each other. Sometimes it seems like all they do is intentionally provoke each other; and man, are they ever good at pushing each other's buttons! Today I thought, "If there was one thing about my life that I could change now, it would be to have these two suddenly get along and be loving and kind to each other." Dealing with their conflicts is tiring, and I grow weary of the referee role. The crazy thing is that they can be so wonderful towards each other so why, oh why, don't they do it more often? Big sigh... Anyway, here's a happy moment captured in a picture with a healthy dose of reality captured in words along with it!

But on to happier thoughts!

Unfortunately, I missed posting anything yesterday for 30 Days Thankful. Fortunately, that means I get to do two today! :) Just in case the theme of my 30 Days Thankful hasn't become obvious yet, I'll go ahead and state that the theme is Jeff! What better thing to focus my thoughts of gratitude on this month? (Although, of course, there are so many other things for which I am also profoundly grateful!)

Day 6
- What I was planning to write yesterday is that I'm so thankful that Jeff is willing--even eager--to not have a TV. I've talked with a number of women who have said that they wish they could ditch their TV, too, because they see how much time their family wastes watching it and how much of a negative influence it can be; but they can't get rid of it because their husband wouldn't allow it. Of course, I realize that sometimes, those same wives are equally as hooked on TV as their husbands are and shouldn't cast too many stones at their men; but I know that I'm in a very unique situation with my husband agreeing completely that we shouldn't have a TV, and I'm so, so thankful! (Just to be clear...I'm not saying that TV is essentially bad or that no one should have one, and I'll freely admit that once in a while, I'll have an evening where I wish I could just veg in front of a TV...but I'm absolutely convinced that our decision to not have a TV at this point in our lives is a very healthy one for us as individuals and as a family.)

Day 7
-
Tonight was Jeff's family night; and for that, we enjoyed a quiet evening at home with taquitos for supper. Jeff was the cook for them as he always is when we have taquitos, and he also delighted me by making some homemade corn tortilla chips. I'm crazy about those chips! Normally tortilla chips are not a food passion of mine, but Jeff's homemade ones are a different story altogether! I consumed a large quantity of them and barely ate anything else--sort of a lopsided meal as far as the food groups, but it will all even out tomorrow. :) Anyway, as always, we took the opportunity to celebrate Jeff and share something special about him. Josiah said that he likes that Jeff plays Knighthood, an online game through Facebook (and that's really all I know about it, except that I'll hear Josiah talking about how many pieces of gold Daddy has and what he's building on his castle and other such mutterings!). David said that he likes that Daddy wrestles with him. And I said that I'm grateful for Jeff's patience. He has been so patient with me throughout the years of our marriage; and when I've grown impatient with myself, he's had enough patience for both of us. In addition, he's shown patience in life when he's found himself in difficult circumstances. Rather than rushing out of the situation regardless of the consequences, he has stuck it out, done the right thing, and exercised patience as the desired change of circumstances finally came. He's a great example for me. :)

2 comments:

Margie said...

I'm closely watching the girls, encouraging every good turn I see and hoping they become each other's cheerleaders and best friends. Sibling issues are always so tricky b/c they don't see the good in each other that we do. I enjoyed your picture and story of your boys.

And good for the TV! I went that route for years when I was single. But, alas, I married an avid TV watcher. But DVR's have changed everything and it's something I can live with. We never watch prime time TV, and he only watches pre-recorded shows on the History or Discovery channels. The girls only watch pre-recorded shows we've deemed acceptable, and hardly any movies. The movie thing sets me apart from most moms, but I feel pretty strongly that they're too fast, mean, and advanced for young kids. I'm a reader and still don't watch much, unless it's the morning kid shows with the girls on my lap. It's good to see Elizabeth turning to books as she gets older, though.

I like your grateful posts about Jeff!

Sally said...

I remember all the fighting and arguing we did growing up at home. I think my mom just became deaf to it and ignored everything short of major bloodshed. I don't think she even did the referee thing. I don't have any answers and wish I did--my kids will be sure to go through that stage too!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates life without a TV. I think it is much better, but then, I never had a TV, not at home, not here, but it doesn't interest me anyway.