Monday, November 17, 2008

Because I Would Want to Know

Answers to questions people have asked us (or haven't, but probably wanted to)...

Q: Was this planned?
A: Um...well...er...planned? Uh...not exactly. Although we had never had a strong sense that our family was complete, we didn't know how or when another child would be added. We certainly didn't expect another one now; and I've actually felt a little sheepish as I've told people the news, expecting the reaction of "don't you know by now how these things happen?" But people have been gracious and have shared our joy excitedly...and God is good and knows best...and we are more than grateful for this unexpected blessing. I've quickly learned that unplanned doesn't mean unwanted. The funny thing about this (one of the funny things anyway) is that I was an unexpected fourth child...and so was Jeff. Maybe this was meant to be? I remember clearly that at one point in my adult life, I needed to ask my parents how long it took them to "want me." To clarify, I always grew up feeling extremely loved and cherished and wanted...but as an adult, I knew that if I was unplanned, perhaps it took a little time for them to get used to the idea of having me. My parents' response was that they wanted me as soon as they knew I existed, and I understand them now more than ever before.

Q: How far along are you?
A: 5 weeks, 2 days

Q: What is your due date?
A: July 18, by my calculation...I don't have an appointment at my midwives' office until December 10, so I won't know the "official" due date until then, but I don't think it will change much.

Q: How old will Tobin be when the baby is born?
A: 18 months...which is very different for me than the 2 year, 10 month interval between Josiah and David, and the 2 year, 9 month interval between David and Tobin...what makes me even more nervous about that is that neither Josiah nor David walked much before 18 months; if Tobin follows their pattern, I don't know how easy it will be for me to be 7 or 8 (or 9!) months pregnant and still carrying him around!

Q: How are you feeling?
A: Physically, I feel great! A little tired sometimes...I can't stay up as late at night as I used to (which is actually a good thing)...very minor abdominal pain from time to time as ligaments begin to stretch...but nothing at all to complain about. Mentally, however, I've experienced a HUGE range of emotions. The most bothersome is anxiety. There are a few similarities between the beginning of this pregnancy and the beginning of the pregnancy that ended in miscarriage in December 2006, and I am well aware of the fact that just because we've seen a positive pregnancy test doesn't mean we'll end up with a real baby to take home. However, I'm determined to rejoice unreservedly and savor each moment of this little one's life--however long or short it may be.

Q: Why are you telling everyone so early in the pregnancy if you're concerned about the possibility of miscarriage?
A: We're telling people now because we strive to live our life as an open book, and I personally think it would be infinitely more difficult for me to go through a miscarriage if no one even knew a thing about what was going on. We are so grateful for our friends and family who walk the path with us, whatever difficult thorns or sweet-smelling roses we might find along the way.

Q: Have you struggled with the idea of 4 children age 7 and under?
A: Oh, yes! In fact, the night after we got a definite positive pregnancy test, after my initial elation wore off, I had a really rough time with everything...which had more to do, I'm sure, with parenting my already-born children than it did with this precious unborn one. That night, before I let my head land on my pillow to sleep my cares away, I happened to pick up this month's Focus on the Family magazine; and in the column by Dr. Dobson, I read these words:
...Now I'd like to highlight the value of children.
To those of us who are familiar with Scripture, this subject might seem like a no-brainer. The Bible is full of expressions of God's care and concern for the young and vulnerable...
Unfortunately, this perspective is becoming increasingly foreign to our modern world, where children are often seen as a burden and a drain on natural resources....
Nevertheless, it is a serious error to intentionally avoid or reject something that the Lord calls a gift and a blessing, especially in the interest of pursuing fleeting pleasure...
What could possibly be more rewarding than raising an impressionable young child in the fear and admonition of the Lord? Is there anything more important than being able to answer questions--such as "why is the sky blue?" or "who is God?"--for the little ones entrusted to our care? The pursuit of comfort and convenience is utterly meaningless in comparison.
This was exactly what I needed to be told. Message received loud and clear! Thank You, God!

Q: Got any pictures?
A: Do I have pictures? Did the sun rise this morning? :) The first picture is a re-enactment of the pose (except in reverse) that Misty and I did last October when we were each obviously pregnant with our third child. Now we're both pregnant with our fourth, even though it's a little less obvious that there's a baby in there! Actually, when I look at myself, I see the 8 or so pounds I didn't lose...and the 1,000 or so sit-ups I never did. Oh well, might as well enjoy myself now...and tighten those stomach muscles later. Somebody pass the chocolate raisins, please! :)
~ at 4 weeks, 6 days
~ at 5 weeks, 1 day

Day 17 - For my 30 Days Thankful post today, I want to change the subject and highlight Jeff's confident speaking ability and excellent choice of words. He functioned in the role of worship leader for our church service yesterday; and because of the unique format of that particular service, he had quite a bit of speaking to do. He did a great job--so well, in fact, that when he was telling the story of the shouk bombing, I got chills--even though I was there and know the story like the back of my hand. But the way he brought new information into it and weaved it all together was very meaningful. I just love to sit and listen to him talk! :)

16 comments:

Misty said...

I'm so excited that we get to be pregnant again at the same time :). Just a little reassuramce about them being closer in age than you are used to. Trinity and Houston are only 15 months apart. Luckily Trinity started walking at 12 months but of course she was still unseady. It really isn't quite as hard as you (or a least I) imagine it to be. You just do what you have to do. (and baby carriers - good ones that doen't hurt your back (I love my moby wrap!!)- are a lifesaver!) I LOVE that they are so close now. Built in best friend - it's great. When is Josiah's birthday? Does this one being due in July mess up your, a baby born in each season idea..lol. I know all the emotions that swirl through your head with an unexpected positive but I know you are excied so congrats again!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

So great that you are taking photos already! I love it! And we are glad to share the news with you, so thanks for posting about it! :)
Carrie

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Delightful! Exciting! Wonderful! Worthy of praise! I shall pray for you as you prepare for another avenue of wonder and enjoyment as a mamma. I've five children in all including: unexpected pregnancies (2), expected pregnancy with unexpected twins, and a miscarriage. God blesses in ALL situations. Relax, take care of yourself, and PRAISE THE LORD. Our last two were the surprises and I can't imagine life without them. I loved them e're I knew them -- no question they are beloved and have been since the stick said "YES"!! All children are gifts. : )

Unknown said...

Davene, you are delightful! I so respect and admire the fact that you are so open about the surprise of a baby at this time, and yet willing to embrace the change graceful and joyfully. A friend of mine became unexpectedly pregnant with her third (after a very difficult second child), and spent almost the entire nine months worried and unhappy. Only when her little girl arrived did she greet her with a welcome heart, and gave her the name "Esther", meaning that she would be a shining star for their family. And she is the most beautiful, sweet-natured, delightful baby you could imagine.

Mamajil said...

I am so excited for you!!
I love the pregnancy questions....
When I found out I was pregnant with Sam I was so shocked....and a good friend told me (when I told her how shocked I was and how he wasn't planned) she said OH yes he was planned....God had a plan and even though that is a "no duh" it spoke volumes to me, He is the Author the Creator I was able to rest a bit knowing He had a plan and I just had to follow....by the way Millie and Sam are 18 months apart my closest two....its do-able...we had our moments especially when they both were toddling around they were partners in crime.....always getting into stuff. :)
Again I am so excited for you and I am praying for a good pregnancy for you, and that this little blessing will bring you oodles of joy and happiness!! God is so gracious to give us these children, don't ya think! :)

Sally said...

Thanks so much for sharing, Davene. I will be praying for you. I know the anxiety part, and it can be ruthless at times. I am still so happy for you (and nearly dying from waiting until my own dr. says my health is fit enough for us to have another one--he thinks I'm crazy), and I hope all goes well for you and the new baby.

Paul started walking about 1 mo. before Hannah was born. It isn't as hard as you think to carry two (one on the inside), but your body and bones can tell you about it. I figured up that when I was in the later months with Hannah and carrying Paul, I had about 200 lbs. on my feet.

Have fun!

Sally said...

P.S. Thanks for the Dr. Dobson quote. I need reminding of that often! My children are small once, my housework will be needing done even after I die.

Julie said...

All of my pregnancies were unplanned. Had I waited until "ready" for the "perfect number"....probably would still be waiting. But that's for another conversation ;-) Chloe and Kanah are happily playing together right now. Makes the hard work of the early days start to pay off. Plus, your two big boys will be even older. Our first three are each 17 mos apart, and right now I have 4 that are 5 and under. Lots of work. Lots of rewarding moments. Lots of messes. Lots of pain. Lots of joy. Lots of love. Lots of fear. Lots of needing Jesus.

Thanks for sharing your pregnancy with those who are no longer in that season ;-) Love you!!!!

Elizabeth said...

And, yes...I am a Liskey...Terrie Connor was my mother, Jenny Liskey's sister. We went to Church in the Valley way back when. Then, turned into Grace and I guess that was combined with Trinity...anyway...part of the ooooooold crowd. I know we were young when we interacted much. Too bad I'm not any better at keeping in touch. I really have been just recently trying to reconnect and "get out there" a bit more...but, I love your blog and congrats again on the newest addition!!!

jeanette said...

oh how wonderful!!!congratulations!

my 2 bio kids are 17 months apart and the 2 girls are just 10 months :) God has a sense of humor!

Having them close together is a bit tough at first, but nothing you can't handle with God. The best advice we got was to work on training our oldest on obedience, even at a very young age, so that when baby came along it would make life a little easier -we are SO glad we did that!

congratulations again!

Crystal said...

What happy news!!! I'm very excited for you, Davene. Hopefully I'll get to meet Tobin before this one is born. ;-) Congratulations!!

Michelle said...

I'm so excited for you! This baby will be so blessed to be born into your family.

Beth said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so thrilled for you! You look fabulous in the pictures. :)

pyrotechny said...

4 in 7years worked fine for us, and I believe you will do even better! (y'all are younger too ;)

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Margie said...

Davene, I had a chance to be the second comment after Misty's, but Elizabeth was climbing in my lap as I tried, and this is my first time back! I love this post for its authenticity and honesty, and am so glad you answered all of our questions about this exciting 4th pregnancy. If I lived closer, I'd take the boys so you could rest, and would bring chocolate raisins every time I stopped by. What a great blessing to be creating life. (Again!)

Jolanthe said...

You can do it, girl! God will give you the grace you need having them close together - trust me! :)

Sorry you felt crummy this week - and had a sick kiddo to boot. No fun, I know.

Hope you have a relaxing week and a fun Thanksgiving and we'll see you at co-op in a few weeks (missed you at Crystal's party too).