Friday, November 28, 2008

We Gave Thanks...

...in Pennsylvania this year, celebrating the holiday in my brother's home. I was personally very thankful for my sister-in-law being the hostess since, at this stage of life, it seemed easier to take some food and pack everyone up and go somewhere, rather than have a big dinner here!

We had a wonderful time, as we always do when we get together with them. I didn't take the time to snap as many pictures as I would have liked because I was just enjoying the fellowship so much; but at the end of the day, I discovered a random assortment of images on my camera, including these pictures...
...of the place cards that my nephews and niece made for everyone.
Twelve of us gathered around this table, and five of the old-enough-to-be-unsupervised children sat at another table in the kitchen, and one baby--Tobin--rolled around on the floor or got passed from one set of arms to another.
I thought often of the fact that last Thanksgiving, Tobin was still in my womb, still virtually an unknown person to me. Sure, I knew he existed...I knew the way his kicks felt...I knew that he occasionally hiccuped...I knew he was growing and getting ready to come forth. But I didn't know him, didn't know what he looked like or what his voice sounded like or that his hair would constantly stand up and refuse efforts to be plastered down. I hadn't looked into his beautiful blue eyes, I hadn't seen his smile light up my heart, or heard his laughter break out as I tickled him. Even though pregnancy is a time of deep connection, it still doesn't compare to the depth of knowing that I have with Tobin now. Of all that I know about Tobin, the thing that stands out is how much of a gift he is. He's our Tobin Treasure.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Davene, its so nice to catch up on your blog. Tobin has gotten so big. I remember last year as well and when you were sharing about your pregnancy and your Thanksgiving! I am so excited that you are having another! :) You guys make beautiful babies!!!!! :)

Michelle said...

Tobin is beautiful! I'm glad that you had a good Thanksgiving and I hope that you are feeling well. ~Michelle