Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Good Eats

Who needs a cookbook these days, when almost any recipe is available online--and, even better, my blogging friends post scrumptious recipes? :) I've been having lots of fun recently trying some new recipes from various blogs. Here are some that have gotten two thumbs up and a hearty "make it again!" in my household.

Spicy Lime Chicken from Renee at A Baker's Dozen -- so easy, healthy, and delicious

Baked Spaghetti from Lisa at Destination: Photography -- spaghetti is easily one of my all-time favorite foods so I knew this would be a hit for me...I wasn't disappointed :)

Macaroni and Cheese from Christy at Between Here and Home -- another of my all-time favorites

Wild Chicken, also from Christy at Between Here and Home -- I love the unexpected twist of water chestnuts in this!

BLT Salad, from Christy at Between Here and Home, again! -- I like this salad so much that I'm going to take it to Thanksgiving dinner at my brother's house...it's that good

OK, my turn to post a recipe! This is for Southwestern Black Bean Chili, and I first made this for a Super Bowl party back in 2006. Most recently, I made it on my mother's birthday when we had about 25 people here for a Friday night fellowship potluck. The recipe doesn't specify using a crockpot, but I have done it that way for extra convenience (after browning the hamburger in a regular pan, that is).

Ingredients:
1 lb. hamburger
1/2 c. onions, chopped
1 package (1 & 1/4 oz.) taco seasoning
1 can (14 & 1/2 oz.) corn, drained
1 can (14 & 1/2 oz.) black beans, undrained
1 can (10 oz.) tomato soup
1 & 1/2 c. water
1 tbsp. jalapeno peppers, diced (I've made it with jalapenos...another time, I added diced chilies...other times, I've omitted this completely, depending on the perceived spice tolerance of the eaters)
1/2 c. sour cream
16 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
green onions
additional sour cream
additional shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
In a large pot, brown hamburger and drain, if needed. Add onions and continue to cook for a few minutes. Add taco seasoning, corn, black beans, tomato soup, water, and jalapenos; stir. Cook until hot. Add 1/2 c. sour cream and 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese. Mix well. When cheese is melted, pour into individual bowls and garnish with additional cheese, sour cream, and green onions, as desired.

Day 5 - For my 30 Days Thankful post, since we're talking about food, I must mention how much I appreciate Jeff's willingness to eat anything! He is not a picky eater at all, and I've been extremely grateful for that from the beginning of our marriage until now--and beyond. When I try new recipes, he's an eager guinea pig. When I make the same old stuff, he's still thankful. Even when I make bland-to-his-spicy-tastebuds comfort food, he never utters a word of complaint...although he might reach for the hot sauce to rev it up a bit! It makes my life so much easier and more joyful to have such a husband!

5 comments:

Mamajil said...

I am gonna have to try out these recipes!! It is a blessing not to have a picky eater for a husband, my husband will eat anything (and over the years and through some "major health kicks" he has downed some interesting stuff....the other day I had sprouted fenugreek seeds and added them to his tuna sandwich...he ate it although I didn't see him come back for more (poor guy) :)

Charree said...

Thanks for sharing the links to the recipes. I will have to give them a try. The wild chicken sounds especially yummy.

I hope you have a blessed day!

~Charree

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Yummy yummy! Thanks for the tips on the recipes! :)
Carrie

Sally said...

I too use the internet to search for recipes, or to see what variations might be available for one I have. I hope to try some of the ones posted. A few even look low-carb!

Margie said...

I love these recipes! Thank you! I'm always looking for ideas.