Sunday, November 30, 2008

Simple Sunday - Jeff

~ thankful for Jeff, for all of the reasons I've mentioned this month...and SO MANY more!

To finish up my 30 Days Thankful series, I need to backtrack a bit, back to last Wednesday...

Day 26
- I'm thankful that Jeff shredded some Swiss cheese for me on this night, when I was up late getting ready for our Thanksgiving trip the next day. Shredding cheese has always been one of the jobs that he's been eager to do for me, and I appreciate very much this act of service that makes me feel loved. And besides, he's quite a bit faster than me when it comes to shredding cheese, so it only makes sense that I would always ask him to do this job, right? ;)

Day 27
- I'm thankful for Jeff doing so much of the driving on this day, as we traveled about 3 hours each way to visit my brother's family. It was a long day, but Jeff safely drove us home on this night as I was deep into dreamland, sharing a pillow with Josiah in the backseat. By the time we got in the car to come home, I was so tired that I felt like I just couldn't drive home. It's a good thing I didn't have to. :)
~ Jeff and Tobin on Thanksgiving Day
Day 28 - I'm thankful that Jeff loves winter. I'm discovering that I dislike winter more and more as I get older, but I'm challenged--in a good way--by Jeff's love for it. When I want to complain about being cold or having to get the boys bundled up before we go outside or getting chilly, wet fingers while watering the animals, I remember Jeff's appreciation of the fresh, crisp air of winter...and that helps me stop my grumpy words before they leave my mouth--most of the time, anyway!

Day 29
- I'm thankful for Jeff's ability to "roll with the punches" and adapt to changing situations. When he came home from work yesterday, instead of a hot meal on the table and a family waiting to gather around, he found the neighbor girls here (while their parents were hunting in a nearby woods), a mess of books and toys strewn about, even more noise than usual(!), and no supper ready. Rather than express frustration, he simply got to work, making part of our supper, and patiently waited until things got back to "normal" again. And all of that after a long day at work!

Day 30
- There is so much more that I could say! Today I was reflecting on how Jeff does so many things excellently. He has so many roles--and fulfills them effectively. As I observed him today, I saw someone who fed his youngest son and dressed him...someone who had stimulating conversation with the retired English professor who was our guest for dinner today...someone who read a chapter of Mountain Born to two of his sons before they all fell asleep together for a nap (a Sunday afternoon tradition for us--Fisher Family Naptime!--although I didn't get one today because of a rehearsal for which I had to prepare)...someone who unselfishly supports me in my music and other endeavors...someone who had the knowledge and willingness to fix our problematic toilet this afternoon...someone who has made it his pursuit to learn as much about the Bible as he can. Most of all, he's the one who brings joy to my heart with his love and tenderness. I'm so grateful for the friendship we have...for the romantic adventure we continue to live...for the gift of God that he is to me. I had high hopes for my marriage to Jeff; but truly, being married to him is even better than I imagined!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your Jeff sounds like my Geoff -- both kind, generous-hearted grown-up men. I am thankful for mine, also, everyday.

Lisa said...

I love reading about how you cherish your husband and family. I know most people might have things that bug them about their spouse or loved ones — but concentrating on the GOOD makes your love grow. And your appreciation for them becomes a habit and way of life — seeing them through Jesus' eyes.

I so appreciate your "thankful" posts, especially those about your man.:-)

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

You are such a blessing, I am sure, to your husband because of all the ways you recognize his gifts and abilities. I am sure he is aware of how lucky he is to have you too!
Carrie

Unknown said...

Hi Davene,
just a quick note since you asked about photo backgrounds. All I use is a piece of coloured cardboard, bent into a curve at the back and clipped onto a board, and blutacked at the front. Dad recently built me a stand, which is really just two bits of plywood with a bracket at the back to hold them in an "L" shape, but for ages I just stuck or clipped the card to something to make it stand up. The advantage of a stand is that you can move it about to get nice light. The card was from the newsagent, about $1 a piece. You can buy kits with a ready-made stand and a selection of paper quite reasonably, but it's cheapter to make your own.

Sally said...

Davene, I have really enjoyed reading your thankfuls. I think Jeff has a wonderful wife in you who so readily praise and focus on his excellent qualities. You are truly a wife of noble character, whose price is far above rubies. You also challenge me in good ways, and I want to remember to think of the many great qualities of my husband, even when I am tired and grumpy.