Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Start Spreadin' the News"

I'm too young to remember Frank Sinatra making this line famous; in fact, by the time I came along, it had become a mere ditty in a commercial, probably for margarine? However, during the past week, this melody has often floated through my head, making me smile repeatedly, because one of the undeniable joys of early pregnancy is, of course, spreading the news.

One thing that sets this pregnancy apart from my other ones is that I'm not going to buy a pregnancy journal! This is huge! Ever since my San Diego friend Stephanie Marlin (now Silverwood) bought me a pregnancy journal during my first pregnancy, I have been addicted to them and have carefully selected a different one for each pregnancy. Josiah's is filled out completely...the majority of David's is sadly NOT filled out (but it was a very thorough one, and it would have taken so much time to write out an answer to each question--that's my excuse, anyway!--but I'm grateful for what I did take the time to write down in it)...Tobin's is mostly filled out, and one of these days I'll finish it, using info from my blog to fill in the blanks in my memory. I even have a pregnancy journal for the one that ended in miscarriage. The first 2 and 1/2 pages were filled out, before I wrote one last entry to say goodbye. For me, choosing a pregnancy journal is one of the most important decisions in early pregnancy--or sometimes, optimistically, before pregnancy.

This time, however, I realize how thoroughly I like to document pregnancy in this blog so I plan to simply write thoughts here (and share pictures, of course) and then, at the end, print out a blog book using only the posts that pertain to this pregnancy. It saves time to do it this way, and it will also look really nice. That's the plan anyway. :)

So, in the interest of preserving all these wonderfully delicious moments of pregnancy pleasure, I want to jot down how the news was spread!

The first to know, of course, was Jeff...but my original plan of telling him on our date on November 8 didn't work out like I thought because even though I took a pregnancy test that morning (and to tell the truth, which I sheepishly will do, another test that evening before we left), I didn't get a clear positive. I shouldn't have been too surprised since it was technically earlier than I should have tested, but it surely is hard to wait!!! Despite my lack of a definitive yes, I happened to smile or laugh or do something that evening as we were waiting for our food in Texas Steakhouse; and Jeff wondered what was going on. So I told him the news...that I might be pregnant...and we laughed and talked and were amazed by it all.

Two days later, I took another test: another unclear result. Rats!

After two more days, Jeff himself bought another box of pregnancy tests for me since I had run out. He had Josiah and David with him; and as they were running their errands, it was no problem for him to pick up some. I asked him anxiously after he got home, "Did they notice anything? Did they ask you about it?" He said that they only thing they asked was, "Is it time to go yet? How much longer?" :)

I know you're supposed to wait until first thing in the morning to take pregnancy tests, but do you think I could wait any longer with a brand-new box of tests sitting there looking at me, holding the answer to the mystery that had kept me enthralled for days? Of course not! Off I went to test, and--sure enough--I got a positive! I immediately told Jeff and mercifully we had time to sit and process the news in peace and quiet since the boys were occupied. We were both happy--excited--surprised, yes--but not at all disappointed or upset. Jeff even remarked at some point that it is probably good that we're going ahead and having another one now since he's getting so old! He always thinks he's older than he really is. ;)

We weren't sure when or how to tell the boys and my parents, but as it turned out, we told them the next night at dinnertime. Josiah had finished one of his schoolbooks that day, so it was a good excuse for a celebration. I got out the "Celebrate" plate for him; but instead of turning it right side up, I put it upside down with a "we're proud of you" note and a Hershey Kiss underneath. Every family member had a note and something special under their plate, and I didn't let anyone turn the plates over until I said so. The boys went first, of course...then Jeff...then my mother (I had put a small snowman plaque under her plate since she loves snowman decorations)...and finally I told Dad to turn over his plate. This, along with a note, is what he found (although that hand is mine in a pre-dinner photo opp, not his in the actual moment of discovery)...
Being a doctor and all, it didn't take him too long to figure out what it meant. ;)

My parents were a bit astonished, I think, but excited. Josiah was very excited! David was not. That surprised me because David loves Tobin SO MUCH that I thought for sure he'd be delighted with the thought of another little brother (or perhaps, by some miracle, a sister!). Not so. He wasn't enthused at all. But if all goes well and this little baby grows and thrives and comes home with us in July, I have no doubt that David will fall head over heels in love with it.

It's hard to keep a baby secret for long, especially when little children are around. I found that out during our fellowship potluck when Josiah spread the news during a discussion around the dinner table about--of all things--whales. (Now I think that's amusing...next June when I start to resemble one, I'll probably find it less so!) I'm not sure exactly how whales came up, but Austin was remarking that whales come from eggs and his mother Amy was correcting him by saying that actually, whale babies grow in their mommy's tummy...which prompted Josiah to pipe up, "Just like my mommy has a baby in her tummy!" The cat was out of the bag, for sure! (Not that we were planning to keep it in for long, anyway; but we didn't plan exactly that method for announcing it!) :)

On Sunday morning a similar thing happened in Children's Church. The teacher was asking each of the children what they are grateful for, and David said, "Joelle" -- this Joelle. :) But when one of the other children said that they were thankful for the baby in their mommy's tummy, David said, "My mommy has a baby in her tummy, too!" So much for secrecy. But really, I'm very glad that they could be such a big part of it!

OK...switching gears...30 Days Thankful!

Day 18 - Jeff told me I should write this one. :) In all our years together, Jeff has carefully honored my request that he never ever ever tickle me. I HATE being tickled, and Jeff knows that. Rather than taking advantage of that to "have fun" by tormenting me, he has respected that 100%...and now our boys are learning to do the same.

Day 19 - Last night, Jeff was stretched out on the couch getting warm by the woodstove, and I gingerly laid down beside him, fearful of rolling off the couch. It's not the widest couch ever, which makes it hard to snuggle like we used to as newlyweds when we had old, beat-up, incredibly comfortable couches. In our first apartment, we had a bad habit of falling asleep downstairs on that crazy couch because it was just so cozy; and then we would wake up sometime in the early morning hours, stiff and sore, and struggle our way up the stairs to our bed where we could stretch out and sleep better. But I love the memory of those moments with Jeff! I love that he's my best friend...the partner in all those silly memories...the love of my life...still the one I love to cuddle with. Sometimes when the boys are around when we're cuddling, they push their way in and try to get right in the middle. I like to say to them as they occupy the prime spot right next to Jeff: "Just remember--I was there first." And I was--for 11 and 1/2 happy snuggly years of marriage so far!

6 comments:

Charree said...

What a creative way to spread the wonderful news.

You have an award on my blog. I appreciate your encouraging posts and comments.

Blessing,
~Charree

Anonymous said...

Davene,
You forgot to say that under my plate, there was also a note telling me that I was going to be Grandpa again. Maybe you wrote that note after the picture, but it was helpful for me to realize what was going on.
Dad

Polly said...

Neat! I'm very happy for you--congratulations and this is a fun way of letting your family know!!

Crystal said...

Spreading baby news is so much fun! I love the idea of putting the positive test under the plate. I've been thinking about you so much the last couple of days. I'm already looking forward to your pregnancy progress pictures. Hope to see you (in person) soon! :)

Misty said...

Davene, my little ons spilled teh beans as well. When my aunt was down Trinity told her that she was going to have a baby brother!!! LOL My aunt didn't believe her but of course I caved and told her. And don't wory about David, he'll come around. By the way, Trinity desperatly wants a boy so if we get another girl and you happen to get another boy, maybe we could work out a trade..lol...(You know I'm kidding!)

Melissa said...

Congratulations! How exciting! I haven't been by here in so long, as i have been busy planning a wedding. I'm so excited for you and your family. I can't wait to see what you have! Maybe a girl :D