Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Out of the Mouth of Babes

Tonight during supper, we were playing a rousing round of Name That Baby! Dad suggested "Bass" (put it with our last name, and you'll know why that was such a hit), Jeff mentioned my mother's maiden name (a name which I've always thought would be nice as a middle name but which I had never considered for a first name...hmm, I'll have to think about that, but I might get used to it), Josiah was lobbying for "Thomas" (you think Thomas the Tank Engine had anything to do with that?), then he switched his tune and brought up "Gandalf" (the boys recently watched the 1970s cartoon version of The Lord of the Rings so they currently think Gandalf would be a great name for our baby so that "he could grow up to be a wizard!" ahem...no thanks). When David suggested "Toby," I told him that was too close to "Tobin"; but then I proceeded to tell them how I had, that late night of half-witted name suggestions that I wrote about previously, thrown out the name "Torin" to Jeff since wouldn't Tobin and Torin be nice together? Almost like twins? 18-month-apart twins? :)

I also brought up "Quinn," a name I have long admired both for the sound, the country of origin (Irish), and the meaning (wise). Since this is actually our 5th pregnancy, Quinn seemed appropriate to me. Jeff, however, reminded us of why he doesn't like Quinn (or Quentin, or Quincy, or anything else even close to that); it reminds him of the infamous San Quentin State Prison in California. Imagine that--he doesn't want to name our son (if this is a boy, which only God knows) after a prison!

David, in a flash of brilliance, realized that the 3rd syllable of the word "consequence" sounds a lot like one of those names Daddy doesn't like, so to be amusing, he said, "How about if we name our new baby Consequence?" He had no idea how profound he had just been--nor why the adults in the room started convulsing with laughter; but he joined in heartily, as did Josiah who laughed so hard that the fruit salad in his mouth escaped and landed back in his bowl.

Ah, David, my boy, you are wise beyond your years. And hopefully, it will be years before you realize just how appropriate that name suggestion was!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

My sister's first child was so nearly named "Merlyn" -- thank goodness that didn't come through! He was called Axl after a German grandfather instead, and although it was a bit odd at first it has become just the right name for him.

Jenn Heatwole said...

Ahhh...you're little consequence. That truly is the most precious story. I'm glad you committed it to writing, so we might all share the laughter with you. Thanks Davene, you're blog truly is a blessing to me!!

Unknown said...

Cute, so cute. When I was pregnant with the twins, B was only two. He pointed to my belly and said "Two babies." This was before the doctors knew, before we knew. Then, he liked the name Jordan, so I let him name one twin. I remind B often of how wise he was...at two!

Enjoy your little growing consequence!

Misty said...

That's cute! By the way, I can't believe that you are almost 13 weeks pregnant already!! Time really has gone by fast. I'm 17 and a half weeks already!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Ha! It is hilarious to think about involving your kids in the baby name game. I recently asked my two-year-old what our new baby's name should be and she said "Cow." So you can see we're not there yet. But Quinn was on our boy list too!
Carrie

Sarah said...

What a great conversation! Can your family come over to our house to give us some suggestions? :)

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Hi Davene! Just wanted to stop by and say hi and thanks for your comments on my blog this morning! I read them out loud to my husband and I think we are going to try some version of that...maybe with a nightlight on a timer rather than a clock, but still, teaching Nina she can't get up until "X" happens...in this case, until the night light turns on at a specific time. I am so encouraged to hear that this worked for you though. I will keep you posted! :)
Carrie

Sally said...

Wow, oh wow! I think it's neat to see what all names your boys come up with. If only Tobin could add suggestions!

Bonnie said...

I'm going to lobby for Mephibosheth again, and how 'bout
Ima Lil for a girl? ;0p
(Can you tell I only have a 3 year old to converse with all day?)

Marie said...

Ha ha ha! I love Gandalf! Names are so much fun! We have been thinking of boys names also! Not sure what it is but for some reason we think its a boy!

Shell in your Pocket said...

How very sweet!
-sandy toe

Margie said...

Davene, I'm so glad you're sharing name discussions with us. I love hearing the sound of the new names and wondering what you'll settle on. And it must be so nice to have one gender's name already picked! Picking names was on of the HARDEST things we had to do. It always had to settle with me, until I could not think of the baby with any other name. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when David one day understands what he said...