Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Winter Wedding

We went to a wedding last Saturday--the wedding of one of Jeff's co-workers (former co-worker now) Hillary to her new husband William. It was held in a quaint old Presbyterian church in an area of Virginia that we're convinced Jeff's sister and her family would fall in love with. Note to self: next time they come to visit us, pack them in the car and drive them there so they can see for themselves what a wonderful place it is. :)

It was a lovely wedding, and I'm so very glad we went. I hope to post more pictures from it at some point, but we shall see about that since I don't always live up to my blogging intentions.

A few things made me chuckle to myself: first, the gum-chewing groom with a gum-chewing best man right beside him. :)

Second, in the program the attendants' names were given as is customary. The designation for one of the women, however, was "Made of Honor." I suppose it's really a good thing to be listed that way; after all, no one would want to be listed as "Made of Dishonor" and neither would it be helpful to list the obvious: "Made of Bones and Muscles and Blood" or even "Made of Body and Spirit." I hope the Maid of Honor was happy to read that someone thought she was composed entirely of honor!

It reminded me of another wedding program blooper I saw a few months ago. In that case, the program listed one of the components of the ceremony as being the "Exchange of Vowels." I do hope someone told the happy couple that they weren't officially married just by sharing with each other a set of "a," "e," "i," "o," "u," and sometimes "y." Rather, an Exchange of Vows is the usual protocol for formalizing a marriage!

Ah, weddings! You can't get through one without some kind of unforeseen mix-up, it seems; and really, they make the best stories later. But with a pre-printed program, don't you think someone would have proofread it?? :)

* I'll announce the winner of the giveaway tomorrow!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

That is too funny. At our wedding, my dad tried to give me away before it was time.Our pastor had to tell him it wasn't time yet and that it was way to early to be giving me away. We have a video of the ceremony and it is always funny to relive the moment!

Unknown said...

lovely pic -- and funny story.

Crystal said...

Very cute. Made of honor - heehee. You made me laugh this morning. :)

Lisa said...

OH! This was that WV wedding, right? Funny story.

Davene said...

Lisa, yes, it was that wedding: the bride is from WV...but it was actually held in the Haymarket area, outside DC. I wish you could have done the pics. ;)

Melissa said...

My husband laughs at me when I say "vowels" instead of "vows"....I guess I deserve it! Oh, but I'm glad I can make him laugh!