Thursday, January 1, 2009

When I Die...

...my memorial service can be really simple. Just turn it into a Harmonia Sacra sing; and I'll be happy as a clam, be-bopping along in heaven in time to the music as the angels and I sing with those left here on earth.

Just make sure you sing "When I Can Read My Titles Clear," and get those basses to practice their part first, OK? It's a tricky one, a fact that was pointed out to me by two basses tonight after I dared to lead this song at the 107 year-old New Year hymn sing at our church. I did notice that there weren't too many strong voices that chimed in with me when I began it, but those Mennonites are such good singers that it wasn't long until they got it fine.

"Hosanna" would be another good one for the memorial service, and we must have "Homeward Bound." When you get to the last line and substitute "We're home at last" for "We're homeward bound," try not to be too envious when you think of how I'm already there!

And to close, nothing would be more fitting than "Dedication Anthem (Praise God From Whom)," otherwise known as the Mennonite National Anthem. You know that's a fitting piece for a memorial service because every time I hear it, I almost feel like I am in heaven.

If the music here on earth tonight was so gloriously moving, what will the music in heaven be like???

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd love to hear you sing!
I'd like to have "Morning has broken" sung at my funeral. The rest of it doesn't matter.

Crystal said...

Girl, you're almost 12 weeks!! Congratulations!!!

And as a non-Mennonite, I totally agree with your assessment of their abilities to harmonize. It seems to be a gift God pours upon them. I've been in awe of it since I first moved to the Valley.

Sally said...

Oh, that sounds like so much fun! I have never heard a group sing "When I can Read My Title Clear"! We've only ever sang it 'round the piano with Andrew's family.

Hey, I may just have to come to the next one of those. I so love to sing with folks who can sing and do sing. We had fun singing up at my parents for about 1/2 an hour before we ate lunch yesterday.

Margie said...

I think I'll have to find out more about Harmonia Sacra. They sound beautiful and something I would love.