Thursday, January 22, 2009

Resolutions Update

A few weeks ago, I jotted down ten resolutions that I had for 2009, knowing well that the chance of achieving all of them the way I had envisioned was very slim...and being OK with that. Despite my goals and ambitions for this year, I have also felt very strongly that this is a year of grace for me--that all I manage to accomplish beyond basic survival is just icing on the cake. :) So I think I have a healthy balance about all of this.

It is interesting already to read back over my resolutions and make a progress report for myself. There are two specific resolutions that I feel particularly pleased with, as I evaluate my growth in those areas.

The first is Resolution #1--to nurture the Spirit. I have found the time I take each day to do this to be an absolutely joyful experience during the past few weeks, and that's not something I can always say. I think one of the things that has contributed to how well this area is going is that I've been reading some devotional materials that are truly inspiring for me. In general, when I study the Bible, I really like to get out my Bible (or two), some highlighters, some study materials, etc...and because I like to study this way, I sometimes feel a tinge of guilt if I include anything less in my quiet times. However, I've let myself relax in this area and realize the worth that comes from a book such as Meeting God in Holy Places--filled with references to the Biblical text as well as actual locations in the Holy Land which have meant so much to me during my adult pilgrimage with God. Just because I'm not using enough materials to give myself a backache if I carry them too long or take up the whole kitchen table when I spread them out doesn't mean I'm not genuinely meeting God, learning from Him, and growing in my love relationship with Him. After all, Jesus is the Word, and He continues to speak in our present time and circumstances, long after the Bible was "closed." I'm not in any way trying to disrespect the Biblical text or imply that all I need to grow in my relationship with God is the latest Christian fiction book--far from it!--but it has been refreshing to realize that at this stage of life, a daily connection with God through a devotional book is truly life-giving.

Since I finished the Meeting God... book, I'm diving into two other devotionals that were given to me for Christmas. One is Quiet Moments for a Woman's Heart which one of my young friends, Joy Showalter, surprised me with for Christmas (and it was a complete shock!). The other is The One Year Christian History which I had put on the Christmas wish list that I submitted to Jeff (at his request since he finds it much easier to shop for me when he knows what I want!); he did get it for me, but to tell the truth, he forgot to give it to me until a few weeks after Christmas. :) Regardless, it was a nice surprise when he did remember to give it to me! I'm enjoying both of them and finding that they provide a good balance of inspiration and challenge.

On a less lofty note... Resolution #9 is also going well. In fact, earlier this week, I spent several hours in the store by myself late at night going through the aisles and constructing my grocery list. All I need to do now is input the data into an Excel doc, and then I'll be able to check that resolution off the list! I'm finding that it's a very good idea to put an easy, not-very-time-consuming item on the resolution list so that the feeling of accomplishment can be quickly attained. :)

Resolution #7, however, is no better now than it was on January 1; in fact, it's probably worse. That old paper monster drives me NUTS. Oh, well, I've got to leave something on my list to accomplish in February! ;)

5 comments:

Sally said...

Sounds great! I am far from the full-kitchen-table spread with my devotionals. I have my devotion time while riding the exercise bike. I am reading a devotional by Joni Earikson Tada, the daily Bible, and a book by my father-in-law, Teaching Children About Jesus. That last one is on purpose because I want to teach Paul and Hannah all I can about Jesus, especially now while they are young and believe everything I tell them.

Also, here's a hint in dealing with the paper monster (though to look at my office area, you wouldn't know I often employ it). Deal with the paper (mail) the minute it comes in the house. Junk in the trash, ins. papers, etc. into the file cabinet, bills on the to-pay stack (or pay them immediately), and so on. It's the only way I don't go completely insane.

Good going on the resolutions, by the way!

Unknown said...

well done on number nine -- it makes a huge difference to the grocery bill and your sanity!

Unknown said...

well done on number nine -- it makes a huge difference to the grocery bill and your sanity!

michelle said...

hey davene! another tip for the paper monster: switch to paperless billing (online) for as many bills as you can. it saves paper, clutter, postage, etc. also, you should be able to stop a lot of the junk mail but it probably would just take a little time to call and get taken off the mailing lists. hope that helps!

Emily Joy said...

Hi Davene! It isn't REALLY my Dad's store, he just works there. Shenandoah Paint is moving to their new location though. Tell your boys I said hello!

~Emily