Monday, January 5, 2009

Resolutions

I'm a big fan of resolutions. I always make them, knowing full well that I won't be able to keep them as consistently as I would like, but at the same time knowing that there is value in setting goals and pleasure in looking back upon them in years to come. Seeing my old lists of dreams/goals/resolutions from long ago reminds me of who I was then and--usually--brings a smile to my face as I reminisce.

Last year however, with Tobin's birth approaching rapidly and consuming all the spare bits of brain power I had, I skipped my normal act of reflecting and resolving. I had one over-arching goal: learn how to be a mother of three children. I knew, for better or for worse, quickly or slowly, I would meet that goal!

Along comes 2009, and I'm far enough into this pregnancy to have regained some energy and enthusiasm as I regard the future, so I suppose it was inevitable that I make some resolutions. Here then is my list, with some goals being broader and some more specific, some more long-term and some more quickly accomplished. If I sat and thought long enough, I would surely add to this list; but here are the first ten things I came up with.

1. Nurture my spirit--or rather, God's Spirit in me. I don't want to set rigid goals like pray an hour a day or read the whole Bible in English, Hebrew, and Spanish this year! But I want to be very aware of the thirst of my soul and very focused on making the quenching of that thirst a top priority as I go through my days.

2. Continue to make my marriage a priority. I saw significant growth in this area during 2008, especially with the addition of scheduled dates with Jeff. I want to make sure that continues so that, no matter what else is going on around us, we will make the time to connect with each other.

3. Learn how to be a mother of four children. Hey, this one sounds familiar! I had no idea last year, when I jotted down my lofty goal about being a mother of three, that I would repeat that goal this year, adding one to the number of children for which I'm responsible!

4. Be an encourager in my various communities: in my family, my church, my town (especially as I interact with other mothers through Josiah's various activities), and even here in the blogging community.

5. Think of age-appropriate jobs for the boys, and continue the task of training them to find fulfillment in work. Sometimes this necessitates changing the way things are physically set up in the house or the way I usually go about things, but I want to discern and make these changes so that they can grow in this area and feel proud of the contributions they make to our family. (I've actually made one change in this area already; I reorganized our plastics cupboard so that Josiah can put away more things as he empties the dishwasher. It used to be that Josiah and David would work together to put away the silverware while I unloaded everything else. Now however, David does the silverware, Josiah does the plastics, and I do the breakables.)

6. Learn more about photography and my new camera, while still giving myself grace to take and post far-from-perfect pictures because the moments I want to capture aren't going to wait until I become an "expert."

7. Tame the paper monster. Paper clutter is absolutely the most frustrating part of housekeeping for me. I have not been successful in staying on top of this area of life, but I so much hope to make a dent in my paper clutter this year...and more importantly, do a better job of dealing with the papers as they enter the house so that my infamous pile by the telephone doesn't accumulate like it currently does. If I accomplish this resolution, my family will probably all agree that a miracle has occurred! :)

8. Organize our homeschool closet. This is one that I hope to accomplish this month because I know there are "treasures" buried in there that the boys would enjoy using, but as it is now, they pull something out of that closet at risk of bodily injury from falling debris!

9. Make an organized grocery list. Since I usually shop in the same grocery store, I would very much like to make an aisle-by-aisle list of things I normally buy so that I could simply check them off when they're needed; and my time in the store would be diminished as I eliminate the "oh, I forgot the cream cheese; let me run back and get it" moments that I occasionally experience. :) This, as well as #8, is also something I hope to accomplish in January.

10. Do better with meal planning and my family cookbook that I'm creating. As it is now, I often print recipes off the Internet that I want to try, then stuff them into various nooks and crannies, only to discover them months later (but not when I'm consciously trying to find them, of course). That is not a very effective way to organize meal prep!

I know once July comes, most of these goals will be out the window as my focus narrows to the tiny treasure I'll cradle in my arms. But I have high hopes that in the first half of this year, I'll be able to accomplish some of these goals, paving the way for a smoother ride during the following 6 months.

One thing that encourages me as I look throughout this year is that my big planning for Josiah's second grade year has already been done. One night a few months ago, I was suddenly seized with inspiration for what I wanted to cover next year with him, so I sat down at the computer and jotted down ideas while they were fresh in my head. Let me tell ya, I'm thrilled that I did that! I still have some smaller decisions to make about the details of second grade; and I actually have some dilemmas that I plan to write about someday to seek some input (like what kind of writing to steer Josiah towards: traditional block printing followed by cursive, or the new italic style of writing)...but it feels reassuring to have the basic building blocks in place for the next year of homeschool so that I won't be scrambling to come up with something--anything!--as I simultaneously nurse a newborn, comfort a toddler, cheer on a 4 year-old, and discuss deep thoughts with a 7 year-old--all on just a few hours of sleep a night. :)

To close, here are two verses that are particularly inspiring me as I approach the new year--my theme verses for 2009, so to speak.
"Serve the Lord with gladness." - Psalm 100:2 (KJV)
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." - Colossians 3:23-24 (NIV)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Good goals. Of course, numbers 1-3 will do...Being His and theirs...that's what matters most! First things first.

Julie said...

Ahhh... the paper monster! What worked for me with number 10? I got a three ring notebook with dividers and a big pack of clear page protectors. I made tags for the dividers like "main dishes", "desserts" etc. and put several page protectors in each section. Now, when I print off a recipe or cut it out of a magazine, I just slip it into a page protector and I always know where they are. Glad you're starting to feel a resurgence of energy again!

Elizabeth said...

Davene, I just read through half of your recent posts. And I just love reading about you all! I am so excited about the newest addition :)

Thanks for your sweet comments. When we went to Flagstaff, I was thinking about you and Jeff and where you stayed :) It was so beautiful and white!

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas and New Year!

Margie said...

#5 was good to read. I think I'll set out to do that, too. The girls want to help so much, and I want to give them the tools. I like your practical, do-able approach.

Julie said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing, Davene. Ummm, my "goals" pale in comparison. Right now I am setting a goal to make it through January by God's grace. I am hoping to see a "healing time in 2009"...but I so appreciate your enthusiasm and perspective. Steve and I celebrated 17 years on Sunday. Katie gets her license tomorrow and can drive solo. Life keeps marching on. We keep needing Jesus.

Anonymous said...

These are great goals Davene, and I don't know of anyone more capable of reaching these than you! I'm glad I got to hang out with you guys in the nursery on Sunday. :-) Later, Josiah sat behind me while you played the prelude, and he enjoyed talking about how I go to "Mommy's old school."

Sally said...

Those are tall orders! I wish you well. I am sure you will get a lot accomplished towards your goals, and even reach some of them. My theory is always to aim high, and even if I only get part way there, at least I am further than before. After I get this wedding cake done, I want to concentrate on doing some things around here for myself--like cleaning and organizing better.

Christin said...

My advise for homeschooling with Baby #4? Do only what you are able to do, with JOY. After that...it doesn't matter. Seriously.

I was getting nervous b/c I hadn't done much prepared schoolwork with Charis. So I checked her capabilities up against the county's SOLs for her grade. She was still ahead. And that was with me doing the bare minimum. If that.

So seriously...do only what you can do. even if that's a whole lot of nothing. and then don't sweat the rest.

Can't wait to hear if this bundle is a boy or girl. ;)