Sunday, January 11, 2009

Simple Sunday - Cedar Chest

~ thankful for this cedar chest which stands at the foot of our bed...made from cedar trees from my grandparents' farm in Pennsylvania, it was a very special gift from my parents when I graduated from high school...it was my hope chest, holding dishes, linens, "pretties," etc. in preparation for the time I would marry and have my own home...now it contains various sentimental items, ranging from the outfits each of the boys wore home from the hospital to the Jewish prayer shawl I gave Jeff when we were married to the letters I wrote to my parents during our years apart...I know it's just a piece of furniture, but I cherish it


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Davene, for making this a parade. I'm excited to start on the "Simple Sunday" posts.

(Although this time I don't have a photo :-( )

Unknown said...

That is so NOT just a piece of funiture, that is a treasure to pass down to be filled with love on top of love.

Sally said...

That is a really nice chest! It's the kind of thing I've always thought I wanted, but never had space for (and still don't!). I'm so glad you have it, and the memories it holds.

Charree said...

What a nice a chest and all of the keepsakes hidden away in it are such treasures. No wonder you cherish it so.