Saturday, May 29, 2010

If You Could Spend an Hour With Anyone in the World...

...who would it be?

I've heard that question many times; who hasn't? But recently, I heard (actually, read it, although I can't remember anything about where it was or who wrote it) it again, and took some time to ponder it. I never can figure out what answer to give. Sure, there are people that would be interesting to meet - any of the First Ladies, former or current, come to mind - Elisabeth Elliot is another lady whom I greatly admire and would enjoy spending time with - but I don't think I would choose any of them.

For one thing, I'm not much of a groupie. I don't belong to anybody's fan club. I haven't signed up for Tweets from anyone. I don't follow any series - reality or otherwise - on TV. Even my blog list on my sidebar shows my lack of attention to the biggies: the famous bloggers. I'd rather know what Morning in Australia is doing than what...well, I'm not going to name any names because that wouldn't be uplifting. But the point is that, especially recently, fame has seemed so empty to me. Popularity is so very fleeting; and if I were going to spend time with someone, I would want it to be for a deeper reason than because they are famous.

So, with all that in mind, I finally decided who I would choose to spend time with, if I could select anyone in the world. It would be our friends Aldo and Maggie in San Diego. It wouldn't be just them, but we would be at their house, eating some carne asade, swimming in their pool, playing games, and then a bunch of our other friends would start dropping by: Rob and Lib, Tim and Jeanne, Eugene and Jacqueline, and more and more and more. Actually, I don't think we would fit in their house, if everybody came that I'd like to see. :)

I don't know why they've been so heavy on my mind today. Maybe because it's hot here, and I'd love to cool off in somebody's pool. :) Maybe because last May, we were in San Diego, doing all of those things I mentioned at Aldo and Maggie's house. Maybe because I just miss our CA friends, and I don't know when we'll get to see them again.

But for tonight anyway, if I could choose anyone in the world to spend time with, it would be them.

4 comments:

JFisher777 said...

1 hour? Uninterrupted? Well uh... with you of course!

Mike and Katie said...

Aw! That's so sweet, Jeff!

My dream hour would be with Christiana's birthmom. We never met her and have no photos of her. It would be nice to have that little piece of the puzzle for Christiana.

Sally said...

I've never heard of that question before. My first answer is--MY HUSBAND! There are so many times when I feel like we spend so little time together because he's working all the time. And, what little moments we catch over meals are interrupted 600 times by little people.

Margie said...

I've always struggled with this question, too. But, like you, it probably wouldn't be celebrity. I might just ponder this today, and re-visit this post again...you've got me thinking.