Monday, May 17, 2010

Nice to Hear

This picture has nothing to do with this post. I took it when we were at Kings Dominion and I was waiting with Shav for the others to get off the antique car ride. As I glanced around and people-watched (fun!), I noticed this spot of peaceful beauty amidst the noise and commotion - and I liked it.
********

Yesterday morning, Jeff wandered downstairs after (fruitlessly) trying to sleep in because he stayed up really late the night before (and he had some extra time in which to attempt to sleep in because we were going to our church's second service...I didn't want it to appear that he was sleeping in and skipping church). As he trudged into the living room where the boys and I were, he shook his head and said, "I don't know how you do it."

"What?" I thought. "What is he talking about?"

He continued, "Every five minutes, somebody's crying around here." More head shaking. "I just don't know how you do it."

I smiled as various thoughts raced through my head:

~ Is there really that much crying? No, he's exaggerating a little. It's not really every five minutes.

~ On the other hand, the boys have been at each other this morning, and that's no fun, especially for someone who's trying to sleep.

~ This is precisely the reason why afternoon quiet times are a must!

But most of all, I chuckled at his back-handed compliment and thought, "Once in a while, it's just nice to hear that!" :)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

by the way...it's okay to skip church every once in awhile, especially when someone has a really late night the night before. perhaps i'm alone in this thought but, i always feel that often our spiritual awakening happens in the small things we do at home too. :)

Margie said...

Yes, it is. I remember every single one.