Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Fringe Benefit

One of the many benefits of living next to my parents is their willingness to occasionally babysit. I try very hard not to take advantage of this! I often tell my mom, "What do you think about this or that? Could you help me out? But please tell me no if it doesn't suit you." And then if she says yes, I say, "Are you sure? Because you really don't have to do this!"

Anyway, last evening Jeff had pottery class, and I had an extremely messy counter that I was itching to deal with. So I called my parents to see if they wanted two little boys to keep them company, and sure enough, they did! Josiah and David got to spend an evening watching tennis on TV and playing with tractors...and, oh joy! eating popcorn. And I got time--thinking time when I could mentally concentrate on projects, like lesson plans--to clean and organize this counter. I still need to deal with the things in the basket, but this area is so much better than it was. Last night after I finished, I felt like I had come up for air and could breathe again.

A huge thank you to my incredible parents for this gift of time!!!
~ before - what a mess!
~ after - ah, much better!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Parents close by are such a blessing. And good communication with them about "grandkid boundaries" is even better. How nice for them to make a memory together and for you to return some order to your counter.

Unknown said...

My parents are also marvellous -- but you're certainly right about boundaries. I'll often ask friends to babysit if I have an appointment, so Granny and Papa only have Boo when they ask for his company (although often he'll ask them!). Aren't those few minutes or hours of quiet time just right for getting things in order or having a quiet cup of tea? I'm always so grateful and refreshed, and Boo has had a lovely time, too. We are very lucky women to have such close parental support.