Monday, September 24, 2007

I Love This Place!

~ here it is, the big, beautiful Cape Hatteras Lighthouse -- tallest lighthouse in the U.S.A. -- photographed hundreds of times by us since every year we go to the Outer Banks, we simply MUST take more pictures of it, as if somehow it looks different each year! -- actually, it was different this year; it stands in a new (to us) location, further away from the sea and much safer than in its previous spot -- the move was made in 1999, if I remember correctly; but since we haven't been there in recent years, it was our first time seeing it in the new place
~ the steps -- 257 of them -- equivalent to a 12-story building...
~ AND I CLIMBED IT!!! -- my big accomplishment of the week was being able to boast that during my 22nd week of pregnancy, I climbed the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse :) -- I really felt good after this climb, until I overheard one of the other tourists saying as he looked over the edge, "it's the first step that's the hardest" -- that image planted itself in my mind; I suddenly felt a little weak and was glad to start down the steps again :)
~ Jeff and Josiah at the top -- it was WINDY up there, and Josiah was enjoying how it felt to have the wind rushing into his mouth -- Josiah was just barely tall enough to be allowed to climb, and he climbed like a champ, going up and down the lighthouse without a word of complaint -- my parents stayed below in the museum and took care of David for us which was a huge help

4 comments:

Julie said...

Good for you!!!

Unknown said...

Glad you had a lovely holiday, and nice to see you back.
and I did like the photo of the lighthouse steps -- can you believe I've never been inside a lighthouse? (tho we live on the sea). Are the rooms all round? and the furniture, too?

Bonnie said...

Wow. I would've flipped going up all those steps. I don't like heights one little bit. You have my admiration for doing that!
Looking forward to more pictures!

Christin said...

Can I just say how stinkin CUTE you are?!!! Seriously!!! This is a first for me, you know! I've never gotten to see you pregnant before and I'm REALLY loving it. Even if only through pictures