Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Joyous Invitation!

You are invited to…

A Celebration of Life!

~ honoring Tobin Ezra Fisher,
son of Jeff and Davene Fisher
~ benefiting the Harrisonburg Pregnancy Center


We rejoice in the birth of our third son, Tobin; and we thank God daily for the precious gift of his life. As part of our joy, we want to gather as a community of those who love him to corporately bless him and express our appreciation to God. However, being a third son in a family of boys, Tobin doesn’t need a lot of “stuff,” so a traditional baby shower isn’t what we desire!

When we lived in Israel (where our second son, David, was born), we learned that baby showers before a child’s birth are not given there (because of superstition about the health of the baby). However, after the birth, a party is held to celebrate the life of the child. To fit into the culture of that country, that is how we welcomed David to the world and into our family. Now with the birth of Tobin, we thought, “Why not do the same? And why not use it as an opportunity to share what we have with those who are less fortunate through the ministry of the Harrisonburg Pregnancy Center?”

So, come…celebrate with us…and use this opportunity to reach out to mothers, fathers, and babies in need. Any gifts brought to this celebration will be given directly to the Pregnancy Center.

Here are some items that the Center needs:
~ Diapers, sizes 1, 2, or 3
~ Infant clothing, up to 12 months
~ Similac formula
~ Wipes
~ Baby bath items
~ New bottles
~ Blankets
~ Socks
~ Anything else that a baby needs

Gifts do not need to be wrapped. And, of course, a donation of money is also very useful!

The details of our celebration:
~ When: Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 5:00 p.m.
~ Where: Shady Oak (the fellowship hall of Weavers Mennonite Church)
~ Who: Everyone--men, women, and children--is invited to attend this non-traditional shower of blessings

*******
I am SO EXCITED about this!!! Shortly after Tobin's birth, the idea to host this party popped in my head; and I felt strongly that it was the right thing to do to show love to Tobin and to others in our community. However...as time went by and I saw how unable I was to do everything I want to do as a mom of three!...I got a little discouraged about pulling this off. God is gracious and supplies all our needs; and in this case, he brought along my friend Amy who eagerly jumped on board and has been helping me coordinate this. In fact, she's running circles around me! What a relief to have a great friend to take the initiative and dive into planning headfirst and with a great attitude! Thanks a million, Amy!!!
If you are reading this blog and got an email about this event and would like to attend, feel free to RSVP to Amy at the contact info provided in the invitation. I did not decide to post her personal info on this blog because I'd like to give her a little privacy. :) So if you're reading this and did not get an email invitation and would like to attend, you can email me through this blog to let me know you're coming. And of course, if you have any questions, you can contact me with those, too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I used to volunteer at the pregnancy center where I previously lived. Many families will be blessed with your kindness. May God multiply every gift and donation.

Welcome to the world Tobin!

Crystal said...

Such a great idea, Davene. I wish we could attend. :-)