Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Verse for Tobin

Shortly after Tobin was born, I read--with new eyes--these verses from Psalm 22:

Yet you brought me safely from my mother’s womb
and led me to trust you at my mother’s breast.
I was thrust into your arms at my birth.
You have been my God from the moment I was born.

I actually "found" this as I was looking through Tobin's baby book (which I love), and these words stood out to me as if they were written in flashing neon lights. I was actually surprised by them because when I think of Psalm 22, I think of the way it begins: "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" And I remember Jesus quoting it as He died on the cross. So I wasn't really expecting to discover an inspiring verse for my newborn son in this particular psalm!

But, wow, what powerful, uplifting thoughts! To be "thrust into [God's] arms at birth"! I love that imagery. I believe with all my heart that it was God who brought Tobin safely from my womb (especially this week as friends of ours lost their 3rd son at 20 weeks of pregnancy and my heart has grieved for them, I've been reminded of God's hand in Tobin's life...it could have been us that lost our son, and it hits very close to home).

My prayer is that someday, Tobin himself will say with full confidence and unending gratitude: "You led me to trust you at my mother's breast. You have been my God from the moment I was born!"

1 comment:

pyrotechny said...

Just catching up with you today. What a blessing that Mother of yours is!! Give her a hug for me!