Monday, February 18, 2008

Monday Miscellanies

First, the answers to the weekend quiz...

Obviously, everyone was so scared by these ferocious dinosaurs Josiah drew that they didn't even try to guess! I thought for sure Chris M. would know the answers; maybe he didn't look at the blog yet. :)

The answers are:
1. stegosaurus (with its row of plates on its back and 2 spikes on its tail)
2. ankylosaurus (this one also has lots of spikes and protrusions on its body and is built like a tank, but the tail is really the give-away here because ankylosaurus had quite an intimidating club for a tail)
3. pteranodon (a flying dinosaur who ate fish)
4. triceratops (with a huge bony frill around its neck and horns on its head and face)

Just a few short months ago, I would not have had a clue about any of these kinds of dinosaurs; but my boys are educating me! :) Another advantage of home-schooling: the learning goes both ways!

The other quiz question was about Tobin, and the answers are:
1. weight - 10 lb, 4 oz
2 length - 22 1/2 in.

That good milk he's (sometimes, painfully) squeezing out of me must be doing its job because he's growing at a good pace!

*******

How I know my mother reads my blog:

She swoops down midmorning and announces she'd like to kidnap two of my boys. So off go Josiah and David to Grandma's house for some fun and excitement! Hmm, where did she get the idea that I might need a break? Maybe from last night's post?! :)

Thanks a million, Mom!!!

*******

For the first time this year, I saw a robin. I was changing Tobin's diaper this morning and opened the blinds in his room a little to peek out. Lo and behold, there was a robin hopping busily about. (This picture below is not the robin I saw this morning, because I definitely didn't have the camera at Tobin's changing table...but this is one of the robins on our land last spring; Jeff captured his--or her--image on film one peaceful Sunday morning last April.)

Robins are my favorite bird--not because they're so flashy or colorful, because we have other birds around that win the prize in that category--but because they're a sure sign that spring is on the way! And spring, as I've mentioned here before at least several times, is my favorite season of the year. :)

When I told my mother about seeing the robin today, she told me that when she and the boys were outside last Friday picking up shingles that were blown off our roof in a recent storm, they saw a whole group of robins. So they get the "official" award for seeing the first robins of the year! :)

2 comments:

pyrotechny said...

I loved dinosaurs when I was younger. And I knew them all. So I was a bit proud when I had a son--because I would have that down cold. But alas,instead of 20 different kinds, they now have over a hundred or something like that! ! (although some of them are a bit suspect!) So just give it up, you don't know it all! (smile) AIG is a good resource for dino stuff. We want to take our kids to the Museum someday soon!

Chris said...

Hi Davene! I am just catching up on what's going on at Sylvan Dr. and I am very upset that I missed this post...I have been writing a 20-page paper on a strategy to reach the Pastun people in Afgahnistan for Christ and that has consumed my time for a week! I would have definitely guessed the stegosaurus, but I may have been stumped on the other ones! When Misty gets back I bet that she would love for you to come over and watch some dinosaur movies! Wouldn't the boys love that!

Grace and Peace,
Chris