Friday, February 29, 2008

Whirlwind Wednesdays

This is what my kitchen looked like on Wednesday. Stuff scattered everywhere. Dirty dishes and random other objects on the table. Groceries to be put away and more dirty dishes cluttering up the counter. The long bench piled with various items, from backpacks to a box of diapers from Costco. Ugh, what a mess. Looks like a mini-tornado swept through.

Unfortunately, this is actually a common scene in our house on Wednesdays. Though the items vary, inevitably stuff accumulates on every available surface where it could possibly be set. This is due to several factors: Jeff is off work on Wednesdays...our routine is out the window...we often go shopping on that day and bring home things to be put away...I'm usually tired after we run our errands (for some reason, being out of the house like that wears me out like crazy!) and reluctant to expend much energy cleaning up...Tuesday afternoons and evenings are busy with Josiah's choir class on that day, so I don't always have a perfectly put-away kitchen going into Wednesdays. All of this combines to create a chaotic kitchen, which drives me nuts!

The good news! After some hard (but fun) work on Thursday, my kitchen looked like this! Ah, much better!!!

I'm learning that this Wednesday whirlwind and resulting chaos is just part of the rhythm of our life these days...as well, as Thursday being a clean-up and catch-up day. And although it may seem silly to record it here, I'm sure that sometime in the future, I'll look back and wistfully smile, as I remember these times...

No comments: