Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Fun with Food

Back during the summer, Anna gave a tip about arranging food for her youngest daughter in fun ways to add a little zest to mealtime (and make the food go down better!). Although now I think "Duh, what an obvious parenting trick," at the time it never occurred to me to liven up our lunches this way. I quickly tried it though...and was more than pleased with the results. Not that I do this every day...I'm not that creative! But every once in a while, I'll go to the effort of making some sort of design...and fortunately, the boys are not harsh art critics...although sometimes they ask, "Uh...what is this, Mommy?" :)
~ food art in August: happy faces with hotdogs (for those health-conscious people out there, we don't eat hotdogs very often; in fact, the boys actually don't like them so much--unlike their mother; but on this particular day, we had spent the whole morning running errands and needed a quick and easy meal for lunch), a ketchup nose, Wheat Thins for eyes, and dried blueberries for hair
~ food art in November: a banana for a boat, homemade (but not by me...I don't want you to get the wrong impression and think I somehow manage to consistently bake our own bread!) wheat bread with strawberry jelly for the sails, and shells and cheese with tuna for the ocean (get it? shells...tuna...that makes for a good ocean, right?)
~ not to be outdone, Josiah wanted to make some food for Dandee, his teddy bear, so he drew this picture of 4 honey pots on the bottom of the page and one fruit tree which somehow miraculously produced an assortment of fruit--apples, limes, oranges, and lemons--all on the same tree! I hope this bear likes citrus! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Anna also inspired me to jazz up Boo's dinners -- making faces and pictures has really upped the number of foods he's willing to try. I love the boats -- must try those.