Sunday, October 21, 2007

10 Years

10 years ago, I graduated from college...so yesterday, Jeff and I left the boys in the capable hands of their grandparents while we made the trek to Pennsylvania for homecoming and my class reunion. Since we had previously lived too far away to participate in activities like this, yesterday was our first "official" visit back since I graduated--and also, the first time I had seen certain people since graduation.

As always with homecoming, there were various activities to choose from during the course of the day, and it seemed that I got to do everything that I really wanted to do which made for a wonderful day!!!

One funny thing was that when we got to my official class reunion, I looked around and said to Jeff, "I feel like I don't know anybody!" It wasn't until we left there and I went to a concert choir reunion that I really felt like I had come home. :)

We practiced a few songs yesterday afternoon for a short concert, and Jeff got to take advantage of the library to pass the time while I was in rehearsal. He prepared for his Sunday school lesson today, and I filled the musical side of my soul by singing with some truly great singers under the direction of a phenomenal director. It was glorious!

After the concert, we got to talk to one of my favorite professors from all my college years; he was also my piano teacher during college, and he and his wife attended the concert yesterday. It was so much fun to talk with them and get caught up! Lots of old memories...wow! He was one person that I had not seen since graduation; in fact, I probably haven't communicated with him at all in the past 10 years. But oddly, he had "googled" me one time when he was heading to San Diego for a music conference, thinking that I still lived there...only to discover a letter that I had emailed to friends and family after the shouk bombing incident in Israel (in which divine intervention changed my plans so that I wasn't in the shouk when the bomb went off...but that's another story). That letter went all over the place--literally, all over the world--the power of technology is amazing! But it also served to inform my piano teacher that we were no longer living in San Diego, but had moved to Israel. I guess one of the advantages of having an uncommon name is that I'm easy to find! :)

Our day ended yesterday with a fun dinner with one of my former roommates and her new husband, our first chance to really meet and talk with her hubby. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with them--and also thoroughly approve of the match. Whew, I'm sure my roomie is relieved by that! :)
~ by the lovely Yellow Breeches River
~ with our "famous" covered bridge in the background
~ having a great time!
By the way, I appreciated so much the comments from my last post about computer frustration. I would say thanks for the help...but it was more sympathy than real help I got! :) Anyway, at least we all are in the same boat. Maybe one of these days I'll figure it out, but until then I'll try to suppress the perfectionist side of me enough to ignore how these posts look!

6 comments:

Promise Christian Academy said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I miss being in a choir, too!
Hilda Rebecca

Lisa said...

You look so great. It was fun finding your blog and seeing your adorable boys!!

Next time you're up here stop by and say hello!

We're less then a mile from campus...Scott works there.;-)

Christin said...

You look so happy, getting ready to sing! I know the feeling. :)

Unknown said...

Class reunions are so strange and interesting -- some people have changed beyond recognition, while others don't look a day older! I remember at mine the news that we had a multi-millionaire in our class -- he was a funny little unassuming boy who never excelled at anything and left school early -- and he didn't even bother to turn up to the reunion!

New Mom said...

Where did you go to college? Just curious.

Davene said...

Messiah College. I LOVED it!!! And have highly recommended it to others. In fact, at the choir reunion, one of the younger alumni came up to me and said, "Do you remember me? We used to work at camp together, and you are the one who told me about Messiah and I decided to come here!" Well, I did remember her after she said that, but I definitely didn't know that she had ended up at Messiah because of my influence. That was fun!

Also, one of the freshmen music majors currently there is a girl from this area; and we've known her family for many years. Almost 2 years ago, she and her mom came out and talked to me and my mom; and out of that conversation, two things resulted: because of us, Sarah was influenced to go to Messiah; and because of them, I was influenced to homeschool!

I love going back to the campus and am so glad to live close enough now to be able to do that occasionally!