Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Lessons in Generosity

One of the traditions we seem to be developing as a family is packing shoeboxes for Samaritan Purse's Christmas outreach every year. The boys and I had fun yesterday going to buy the gifts, and this morning our project was actually packing the boxes. It's been really interesting to see how Josiah and David respond to this. David, of course, is still at the stage of "I see a toy and I want it and I have no concept of children in other countries having far less than I do." But Josiah is "getting it."

One thing we did a few days ago in preparation for this was read the book Miracle in a Shoebox by Franklin Graham. It is one of those books that I can't get through without crying--absolutely cannot do it. I almost didn't want to read the book this time because I knew what was coming--I even know what page is going to make me cry--but I also know that it is a vitally important lesson for my children to learn how blessed we are and how crucial it is for us to do our part to help, though it may seem small. Anyway, while we were reading it, I indeed started crying...turned the page and had no voice to continue reading...Josiah looked at me curiously to figure out why the delay...he saw I was crying and wanted to know if it was happy crying or sad crying...then he helpfully offered to go get a tissue for me, which I gratefully accepted. Finally I choked my way through the rest of the story, then had Josiah take the book over to our neighbors who are also packing shoeboxes for this project. I'm eager to ask Wilma whether she's read the book to her girls and, if so, did she make it through without crying??? :)
~ my good helpers -- I'm proud of them!


5 comments:

Promise Christian Academy said...

We haven't done this for a few years, but I am hoping to re-start the tradition this year. I wasn't aware of the book, I will look around for one. I cry just thinking about it, but I want it to 'hit home' for the children...
Hilda Rebecca

Lisa said...

Josiah is so sweet with giving you a tissue and trying to help you feel better!!

Packing those boxes is such a great way to teach your boys about blessing others.

WOW! I need that book as well.

Christin said...

Oh! I love me a good cry! I now have a new mission...find that book to read to my girls!!

Foxy5 said...

I cry every time I read "I love You Like Crazy Cakes" Every time. I'm interested to find the book you mentioned.

On another note... um, your fridge? My leap frog toys surely wish they were as organized as yours. :)I'm thinking I better go tidy up our letters right now. First I better move the fridge to get all the dusty ones out from underneath. hahaha

Davene said...

You all are the best...you make me cry and make me laugh. Such sweet friends in blogland!

About the fridge...keeping those letters organized is one of the projects that Josiah LIKES to do. I know that if they get messed up and I say to him, "Would you like to organize these letters?" he'll say "Sure!!!" So I've gotta give the credit to him for that small accomplishment in our household! :)

And about books that make me cry...the other one that always, without exception, makes me cry is Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. As a result, I actually don't read it to the boys very often at all because I just can't handle all the emotion!!! :)