Monday, October 29, 2007

Week 28

There is not a whole lot to report this week. In this picture, I, accompanied by my faithful sidekicks who dislike being left out of pictures, am in Baby's room, a little room off our master bedroom that was designed specifically (by my parents who designed the house) to be a nursery. It's a wonderful room!

I'm glad the weather is cooler so I can wear my warmer maternity clothes. Although speaking of temperature...I am definitely at the stage of being on a different temperature scale than most others. Last Friday evening when we had people over, I asked my mom shortly before everyone arrived, "Don't you think it's hot in here?" and she said, "No, I think it's a little cool!" Then yesterday in our Sunday school class, I felt like I was having a heatstroke so I was busily fanning myself with the bulletin to keep from being overcome. Funny--no one else was doing that. I guess my little internal heater is doing his job well!

In my pregnancy journal for this week, the question is asked about what I miss most from pre-baby days. I think this week it would be my lap. I have had some gloriously fun snuggle times with the boys recently (reminding me of the quote from Nancy Thayer, "Who is getting more pleasure from this rocking, the baby or me?")--for example, this morning when I was reading my Bible in one of our rocking chairs and watching the fire in our woodstove, Josiah came down and wanted to sit on my lap with Daddy's new blanket from Grandma Fisher around us. We did that; but oh, it wasn't nearly as comfortable as it used to be before I had such a big belly! The boys never complain about it; but when they're trying to snuggle with me or sit on my lap, I find myself constantly shifting my position as if to move the baby out of the way so there's more room for my big boys!

The other thing that stands out in my mind about this week is that I'm realizing anew that I just can't do all the things I used to do! Saturday was a fairly busy day for me--just doing normal stuff though--no weight-lifting or running marathons--simply laundry, housework, etc. But by evening, I was cramping so much that I was seriously concerned about preterm labor. When night rolled around, I thought, "I have so much more that I wanted to get done today, but I just can't. I just have to go to bed, not because I'm so sleepy, but because my body needs a break." Fortunately, a good night's sleep did the trick; and I was feeling back to normal the next day. It can be a little frustrating though to look around at all the things I would like to do--like work in my front flowerbed to prepare it for spring and plant some fall pansies--and realize that I just can't do it all.

I console myself with another quote: this one is by Maria Riva. "I never feel so good as when I'm pregnant. It's the only time a woman can sit still, do nothing at all, and be beautifully productive." :)

2 comments:

Julie said...

Three words...DRINK YOUR WATER ;-)
(for the cramping)
Two more...THANK YOU... for your positive perspectives...hey! that could be a new category for your writings!

Seriously, I don't have the positive glowing pregnancy hormones in me, but maybe I'll "catch" them from you. I appreciate your encouragement in this area.

New Mom said...

That is such a cute quote! I'll have to remember that one.