Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Verse of the Day

A verse I discovered today during my morning "snuggle time with God"--in a rocking chair, watching the fire in the woodstove, in the quiet and peace of a still-sleeping house:

Psalm 116:1-2
I love the Lord because he hears my voice and my prayer for mercy. Because he bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath!

This image of God bending down to listen was so vivid to me because that's exactly what I do as a mother! How many times have I bent down to get on the same level with my children or to hear their quiet voices! Granted, my boys usually speak in loud voices :) -- but when they're feeling timid, afraid, hesitant, sad, emotional, etc. or when they just want to tell me a secret, they speak softly; and I literally have to bend over to hear them. And for sure, whenever we're having a very important conversation, I always try to get on their level so we can look each other in the eye and connect more intimately.

And to think that this is what God does for us!

1 comment:

Christin said...

You sure know how to make that verse come alive to me!! I think I'm going to go read it now and write it out for my frig...