Sunday, October 28, 2007

Pumpkin Pancakes

I have not posted any recipes for a while on this blog, but I have been enjoying gleaning them from other people's blogs. :)

As the label of this post mentions, I'm compiling a group of recipes into our own family cookbook. I got this idea from another blog, although at the moment I can't remember which one. I think I've actually heard about this idea from several people. It's nice to have a recipe notebook with pages I make myself so I can include not only the recipe, but also a picture of the food and any special memories or other notes about it. My desire is to continue to add to this book; and one day if my children are at all interested in it, I can make a copy of this notebook for them as they leave home so they can know how to make some of the "classics" they grew up with. Anyway, it's a fun project for a woman who thrives on projects and organization! :)

This recipe for pumpkin pancakes came out recently in a small local newspaper we get for free. I saw this in a cook's column in that paper, and debated back and forth mentally about clipping it out and trying it. Finally I thought, "When am I ever going to make pumpkin pancakes?" so to the kindling box for our woodstove this recipe went. Fortunately, before it got cold enough to use that kindling for a fire, along came an evening for which I had no idea what to cook for dinner--one of those evenings when you know that in an hour or two, children and husband will be expecting something to magically show up on the table...one of those evenings which can throw a wife into a panic. :) On this particular evening, I thought, "Well, let me check to see if I have all the ingredients for these pancakes and, if so, I'll make them. After all, it's kind of fun to eat 'breakfast' food for dinner sometimes." Lo and behold, I had all the ingredients, I made these pancakes, and they were a hit. Jeff loves pumpkin pie; and although that pie is not my specialty, I thought he would like these pancakes because of the pumpkin taste. Here is the recipe...

2 c. flour
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. baking powder
½ t. salt
¼ t. cinnamon
¼ t. ginger
¼ t. nutmeg
1 ½ c. milk
1 c. canned pumpkin
1 egg
2 T. cooking oil

In medium bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices. Add pumpkin, egg, and oil, then add milk gradually, and mix well. Batter will be lumpy. Put a little oil in a nonstick griddle, and heat to medium heat. Pour ¼ c. batter and allow to cook about 2 minutes, turn and cook another 2 minutes.

I also made these pancakes for our fellowship potluck these past Friday, and numerous people commented on how good they were. We eat them with maple syrup or homemade orange sauce (1/2 c. butter, 1/2 c. sugar, 1/2 c. orange juice concentrate, mixed together while heating just until it boils). A great fall meal! :)


4 comments:

Christin said...

what a sweet idea!! You are, truly, an inspiration as a mother. Your heart to bless your children and to leave them a heritage in so many different arenas is so precious.

Hugs my friend

Foxy5 said...

Yum! That sounds delicious! I was making pumpkin whoopie pies for my church's fall festival and bought a few too many cans of pumpkin. I think I'll be trying this one out...for dinner. We LOVE breakfast for dinner at our house. :)

Julie said...

These really ARE good! I ate plenty of them Friday night with Davene's yummy orange sauce. I love your recipe idea, Davene, and I've had many of the same thoughts...though I am not as organized about it as you. I know if I do a little at a time it could get done. I would love for the girls (and boys!) to have a notebook of recipes when they leave home...as it stands I have random papers here and there and plenty in my head! Maybe you could share your secrets and encourage the rest of us along!!!

Anonymous said...

Davene,

Just happened to be scrolling through your blog - I try to check it every now and then - and this recipe caught my eye. I tried it out...and LOVED it! As did my husband!! Thanks for sharing!

Dori