Friday, May 2, 2008

Daily Digest

To begin with, these pictures have nothing to do with anything, except that they are of my boys; and that's what I'm going to write about. Wait, that's always what I write about.

You see, it's like this. I wouldn't blog so much, except that every day, stuff happens; and I think, "Oh, this is historic"...or "I don't want to forget this"...or "I've just got to write this down!" And since I don't journal in the strict sense of the word (meaning, actual pen and real paper), this is where all that gets stored. Why anyone else wants to read this is beyond me sometimes!!! :) But boy, is it ever fun to share this stuff in a community and have it turn from a monologue into a dialogue. Thank you!
~ Tobin in big brother Josiah's arms
~ David, during his day of sickness earlier this week

So...today...snippets of conversation in our family:

David said this morning, "When we get up to heaven, I will say to God, 'I love You NO MATTER WHAT'." And then David added, "When we get up to heaven, God will say to me, 'I love you, NO MATTER WHAT, David'." And I thought, "You know, that's one of the simplest, but most profound, expressions of the Gospel that I've ever heard." God loves us, no matter what. What a gift!

Later today, on our way home from running some errands (including a stop to show off Tobin for "baby week" at a preschool where some of our church friends work), David said, "When I am a daddy, I will drink iced tea...and read the blue book (our devotional book that Jeff reads to us before we eat supper)...with a beard...and have a nice, happy face!" I guess David has got it all figured out about what it means to be a daddy. :)

Over lunch, this is what I wanted to say (but didn't voice, of course), "Would you quit learning geography and just eat your lunch???" We have these map placemats, and David had at his place today a map of the USA and wanted me to tell him what everything was when he pointed to it. Which is great, of course...but after a few rounds of "Alabama...North Dakota...New Hampshire...Idaho" (spoken wearily by me) and the growing conviction that the real reason he was so interested in the map was because he didn't want to eat his banana, I was ready for the whole game to end! David did learn one thing today though: the state of Nevada is shaped like a piece of pizza, so he and Josiah are going to start calling it Pizzaland. Oh, and when Josiah grows up and can really tell everyone what to do, he's going to insist that Washington, D.C. become the 51st state...because, why isn't it a state already? (Uh, because it's too small???)

The real excitement of the day happened this evening when we were deep into the "piranha hour" right before Daddy gets home from work. Tobin was crying in his crib, so I went up to get him; and as I descended the stairs, I saw David sitting on the rug in the living room with the flyswatter saying, "Here's a bug!" Followed by, "It stung me!" (or maybe he said, "stinged," because his grammer is not perfect). :) Followed by weeping and gnashing of teeth. Well, David's first bee sting is history now; and apparently he's not allergic (like Jeff's brother is) because we didn't observe any side effects that were alarming...so that's a good thing. It was so sad though because as soon as I saw him and heard the word "bug," I KNEW it was a bee and wanted to yell for him to put it down! But there was no time.

We've been having bees, of all things, in the house the past two days. Yesterday we had...well...I don't know how many. Twenty, maybe? Today we only had three or so, but it was one too many, that's for sure. It's really strange since we don't normally have bees in the house! And we can't figure out how they're getting in so we can't figure out how to keep them out. We always discover them on our big picture window in the living room, and we're grateful that at least, they always seem to go to the same place--a fairly easy place to deal with them. When I saw the first several yesterday, I thought, "Oh, bees are nice. I'll just catch this one against the window in a plastic bowl, put a thin book between the window and the bowl to act as a lid, and take it outside to release it." So I did--a few times--and then all my compassion and love for bees went right out the window! Those bees got in the wrooooong place and threatened my boys, so no mercy for you, you little rascals!

Since David saw us killing them with a flyswatter yesterday, I'm guessing that when he saw the bee today, he got the flyswatter to try to do the same? And then, being curious, he simply reached out and picked it up? I don't know for sure, since I didn't see the beginning of the encounter; but I'm so very grateful that all's well that ends well. And fortunately, Doctor Grandpa, hurried up the hill to check on his little grandson and make sure there were no serious problems resulting from it. It's comforting to know that if there had been a problem, we were in good hands!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mealtimes can be great learning experiences--even if they're sometimes frustrating. Some of my best memories of growing up in my family was the learning we experienced at mealtimes--learning exactly what enzymes were and what they did when someone licked their spoon and stuck it back into the JAR of applesauce, calculating how many times Dad could travel around the garden with the tiller before he reached the center, learning that "if you don't like it, you should eat it fast"...

And, of course, there were those occasions when people sidetracked the conversation intentionally--although on our part it generally had less to do with not wanting to eat and more to do with not wanting to do "real" schoolwork or chores after we got done at the dinner table :-)

Unknown said...

I agree that a blog is simply a chance to journal (with pictures!), but having others share the journey is twice the fun!
And it's so easy to forget the little things babies say and do ... a blog is a chance to remember.

Margie said...

My goodness, I had a lot of catch-up reading to do. I love your journaling, picture-sharing, story-telling. And I envy your great photos of feet. Think I'll try that with Sarah today. But she really loves poking the camera.

Anonymous said...

I love hearing the stories of your boys. I also love to hear what those little minds are thinking.

Jaedan got stung by a hornet when he was 11 months old. He lost his balance and fell right into a nest. Thank God he was only bit once.

You might want to find the nest and get rid of it just in case. We did.

Davene said...

The only problem with getting rid of the nest is that our neighbors actually have several hives and raise bees for honey! :) So we have bees around, and I really don't mind that a bit. But we have NEVER had a problem with bees in the house before, which was (and is) the perplexing thing. My neighbor told me this morning that this seems to be the time when the scout bees are out, looking for a new place to build a home (for the colony to divide, I guess?) so that may be what was going on. The holly bushes in front of our house are drawing a lot of bees these days because they're at a certain stage of blossoming (or something), so it could be that the bees just zipped in the door whenever it was opened. Fortunately, I haven't seen any in the house today. :)

That is amazing that Jaedan wasn't hurt worse when he fell into the nest! Isn't it terrible to see our little ones in pain though?

New Mom said...

Yikes! 20 bees! That is scary!