Monday, May 26, 2008

Where Do I Even Start?

Do I start with our project of making strawberry freezer jam on Saturday?
~ no, we don't require helmets to be worn while making jam; but in case of flying debris, it could prove helpful
~ Josiah loved pouring the jam into the jars--and, of course, licking the spoon when we were done
~ 7 beautiful pints of delicious jam

**********

Or do I start with our overnight guests on Saturday, Dori (one of my college roommates) and her husband Marvin and our delightful time with them?

~ Dori being an attentive audience for Josiah and David as they show off their "new" typewriter

**********

Maybe I should begin with our Sunday morning service, and how much I enjoyed leading hymns for it, especially "Guide My Feet"? It was an inspired moment, standing up front, listening to all those harmonizing, worshipful voices.

**********

I can't forget to mention our dinner guests on Sunday who came to help us celebrate my dad's birthday (which was actually Saturday...but more about that later!). We thoroughly enjoyed having our distant relatives Wayne and Debbie over on Sunday. They are a couple that we had seen at family reunions; but until we became part of the same church, we didn't know them well. We completely enjoyed getting to know them better on Sunday, and we finally figured out exactly how we're related! As it turns out, Wayne is my 3rd cousin...though don't ask me to remember all the names of the ancestors who connect us. (It all started with a Jacob somewhere, but after that, I get a little lost...)

~ Wayne's wife Debbie holding Tobin, shortly before he drifted off in her arms to a peaceful sleep

**********

Oh, I know. Maybe I should write about the absolutely outstanding EMHS Touring Choir concert that I heard Sunday evening: the glory of the music, the joy of seeing old friends, the pride I felt as Josiah searched after the concert for Laura Anderson (one of the members of the choir and the daughter of Josiah's beloved Mrs. Anderson, the teacher of his choir class), the specialness of being able to stand with all the alumni who joined the choir for the last piece. We knew it would be incredible, and the evening did not disappoint.

**********

Today is Monday, so of course, I must mention my weight today. 156.2 pounds, down almost a pound from last week. I'm satisfied that I'm heading in the right direction!

**********

Today is also Memorial Day, of course, so I'd better write about what we did to celebrate. One of Jeff's customers is the conductor of a train at Cass Scenic Railroad in West Virginia, and he had invited us to come back and ride on his train today...which we did...and couldn't have asked for a better day. The weather was perfect while we were there (and poured buckets on our way home), and we were given the royal treatment by Conductor Bob. It was fantastic!
~ I'm so grateful to live in this country...I've always enjoyed my time outside of the USA, but what a privilege it is to always be able to come home

~ two of my favorite little trainmen

**********

Whew, so much I could write about! But as it is, I'm almost dizzy with fatigue, so off to bed I go, with grand hopes of writing more tomorrow... ;)

8 comments:

AndrewZ said...

The next TC concert I go to, I may have to stand there w/ my sheet music (I kept the Benediction song score from the reunion concert last year...what a great memory).

Just remembered that I got Alice Parker to sign my copy of the song she wrote for the EMHS 75th anniversary. I think you were part of that small group that sang amongst the larger choir for that weekend?

Davene said...

Andrew, true confession time: I, too, kept my Benediction score from the reunion concert...I looked over it to refresh my memory before the concert...made sure I stood next to an alto so I could follow her...and still mostly bluffed my way through, thankful that no one could really hear me. :) But it was fun regardless. Next time, I'll spend more time on it beforehand and really learn it!

The Alice Parker event is very faint in my mind, and I can't remember what I sang for it. I do, however, remember accompanying some things for her, most notably, her accompaniment for "Be Thou My Vision" in which I was supposed to make the piano sound like a harp. That was an incredible opportunity; we've been really blessed, ya know!

Sally said...

Isn't that Ball freezer jam the greatest thing? It makes it so easy to have great tasting jam. I loved seeing your little guys making jam.

It sounds like you all had a jam-packed weekend and Monday. How do you manage all that with your little ones, especially Tobin? I'm glad you could have fun with your boys at Cass. I bet they really loved it. That's one place I want to go someday.

Misty said...

Oh how Houston would loveto ridea real train!! It looks like you guys had a great time. Did you take that photo with the flag? It's great!

Davene said...

Misty, Jeff actually took that particular flag photo. Didn't he do such a good job? :) I'm sure Houston would have a blast riding on that train!

Sally, as far as managing things with Tobin (and the other boys), we're actually in a phase of life that is fairly simple because both Josiah and David are old enough that they don't absolutely need naps (David hit that stage at a younger age than Josiah did). And Tobin is such an easy-going little guy that it's really not too difficult to take him places. Plus, he only nurses about four times a day at this stage: basically breakfast, lunch, dinner, and bedtime...so with longer stretches of time between his meals, we can squeeze more activities in. And Tobin usually falls asleep easily in the car, if we happen to be driving at naptime.

The other thing I was thinking about yesterday is that when we go places with my parents, we have an adult/child ratio of 4/3, so we're technically not outnumbered yet. :) My parents are so incredibly helpful in situations like that, and that makes a world of difference.

I remember a stage of David's toddlerhood when just going out to eat as a family was so difficult because of him quickly growing tired of just SITTING; one of us would have to eat fast and then take him out where he could run around. But now, we are in an easier season in some ways...and I'm grateful for every minute of it (and fully aware that other seasons--some more difficult--will be coming along the path!).

It's funny to me to read back over what I just wrote because, about 3 months ago, I was just trying to keep my head above water. I had no sense that "life is easy". A lot can change in a little bit of time!

Sally said...

Congratulations on your lost pound!

About life having easier seasons, you're right. I remember that when Paul was about a year old. I just have to be patient with Hannah right now.

Are you feeding Tobin solids yet?

Davene said...

Sally, we're not feeding Tobin solids yet. He seems content without them, so I'm not rushing it. :)

With Josiah, we started him on rice cereal at 4 months; but with David, we waited until about 5 and 1/2 months. I'm not sure what we'll do with Tobin, but since he seems to be satisfied with four (or so) liquid feedings a day, I'll leave it at that for now. Seems a little easier than having to mix up cereal and sit to feed him a few times during the day. :)

Anonymous said...

Yummy, your jam looks good! (Sorry food distracts me easily!)

Wow, what a busy weekend. Oh what fun memories.