Friday, May 2, 2008

I Spy...

All mothers are, I'm sure, familiar with the "joy" of finding their children's "treasures" in unexpected places. It's like a delightful game of I Spy, right? :)

One day last week, I decided to just go around the house, camera in hand, and see if there were any such surprises lurking about. This is what I found:

I spy...
...a dinosaur on the bathmat, ready to nibble Daddy's toes when he steps out of the shower
...three little critters on the guest bed (and this was shortly before we were expecting guests, too!)
...a random piece of racetrack on Jeff's nightstand
...a toy dragster inside my garden shoe (it actually was much darker inside my shoe than this picture shows...I had to use the flash to even make the car show up...I am certainly glad I noticed the car before I put my foot in the shoe; I'm sure I would have shrieked, thinking that something (or someone?) was in my shoe, ready to bite me

I know someday I'll miss all this, since every older mother I've ever talked to has told me that. But sometimes I just wish I could put things where they belong and they would stay there!

On a related note (to the missing-your-children-someday aspect), the past few nights when I've been nursing Tobin in my rocking chair upstairs while Jeff is getting Josiah and David ready for bed, I've thought a lot about the future when they are grown. One time recently David appeared in the doorway of my room to tell me something (probably at a time when he was really supposed to be doing something else, like brushing his teeth or throwing his clothes down the laundry chute); and as I saw his small frame before my eyes, my inner eyes imagined his much taller frame filling that doorway in the years to come...and then--vividly--the emptiness of that doorway when he's grown and gone. It reminded me to pause...to hang on to these moments...to appreciate them before they're gone. The next night when David did the same thing, I wasn't nursing Tobin and didn't have anything in my arms, so I simply got down on my knees on the floor and opened my arms wide for David, who came and gave me the sweetest hug. Don't forget these moments, Davene...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The day Jaedan was born my Mom told me to enjoy every moment so that as he grows I will not be sad, but excited about the next stage in his life. Like you I enjoy every smile, hug or silly thing he does, but still find it hard not to be sad that time goes by so fast. They are little for only a moment! I wonder if God sees us in the same light?

Crystal said...

Boy can I relate to the "surprises" around the house. For some reason, my 5 yr old especially likes to leave things in our room. Just today I picked up a toy truck, a boat, and a dinosaur from our floor. It's a constant battle, but like you, I'm trying not to rush past these days. One day every little thing will be in its place (at least until the grandchildren come over to visit.) ;-)