Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Next Step

Just for fun, here's a picture from our trip to Norfolk last week. This is what we woke up to on Wednesday morning. Such serenity!
And now, what I really wanted to write about. :)

I (we) am (are) becoming increasingly convinced of the fact that the next way we grow our family will be through adoption.

To give some background, adoption is prevalent in my family. My parents adopted 2 children, my sister adopted 2, my brother adopted 3...so there is definitely family support for adoption, but also family realization of the unique challenges posed by adoption.

Jeff and I have always been open to the idea of adoption, and I'm sure we discussed it before we were even married. But when biological children came to us so easily, adoption got put on the back burner for a time.

Recently, however, two things have "haunted" (for lack of a better word) me.

First, I read somewhere that if only 7% of the world's Christian population would adopt one orphan, there would be no more orphans. Don't quote me on that, because I can't remember exactly where I saw it...but I read it on the Internet so, of course, it's true, right? ;) Seriously, I've ordered a book that I think the quote came from, so I'll soon know if my info is correct or not. But regardless, the point is that even a small percentage of Christians could make a huge difference in the plight of orphans if we would simply decide to do so.

I recognize, of course, that there are many orphans in the world who are "unadoptable." I have vivid memories of working in an orphanage in Mexico, close to the U.S.A. border town where we lived, and longing to take the children home with us...but being told that it was impossible because we're not Mexican citizens and the Mexican government doesn't allow non-Mexicans to adopt their children. The same longing stirred within me when we were in an orphanage in Bethlehem when we lived in Israel, and we inquired about possibly adopting a Palestinian child. The answer again was no, because we are not Muslim. We would have adopted one of those children in a heartbeat, but instead faced the frustration of impenetrable roadblocks. So I realize that even if thousands of families suddenly started the adoption process, there would still be orphans. But still... The point is that there are so many children who are waiting for their "forever families," and what are we doing about it?

At this point, let me pause to say that I'm not chastising those who haven't adopted. I'm not saying I'm the voice of God to everyone, telling them to adopt. I'm not pointing fingers or applying this particular call of God that I feel to everyone else in their individual situations. But for us, it's something that we need to consider with seriousness.

Second--and perhaps, more importantly--Josiah asked me recently, "Mommy, why haven't we adopted any children?" Ummm...well...because...we just haven't...hmmm...I don't know. This innocent question has circled in my mind like a tornado and forced me to re-evaluate my desire for more children and the possible process for having them.

Let me be clear. We have not chosen an agency. We have not made any of the one thousand and one decisions that adoption entails. We have not talked about any kind of a firm timetable for doing this. In fact, we haven't even decided for sure that this is what God is leading us to. So don't be surprised if you read this...and time goes by...and more time goes by...and we haven't adopted a child! Only God knows how the path will unfold for us in this area. And my fervent prayer is that Jeff and I will walk this path in complete unity, with me not jumping ahead of him (or vice versa) or pressuring him to do things the way I think they should be done--but having an amazing level of unity that surprises even me. :)

My reason for writing this down, however, is simply for my own remembrance of it. Five years from now, I want to be reminded of how I was feeling and what I was thinking in terms of growing our family.

For now, the future is foggy and the path unclear. But I think of the verse in Psalm 119:105 that says that God's Word is a lamp to our feet. A lamp doesn't illuminate the path a mile ahead of us; it doesn't show us what's coming around the next corner. But it does shine light on where our feet are now and where our next step will land. I pray for the faith to walk by the light of God's lamp...and the peace in my heart to take the journey one step at a time.

5 comments:

Christin said...

Sounds like some things have been more solidified in your heart since we spoke a few days ago. :)

I love when the Lord plants an idea and *suddenly* it shoots up from the ground. That happened with me and homeschooling. One day I was iffy. The next we were doing it. Literally.

Not saying that you are in that "definite" stage. But you do sound more sure today. and I get excited FOR YOU guys and all the possiblities!!

You are the kind of family that I'm betting adoptees are praying for. So full of love and TRUE joy and gentleness and FUN (all those last minute roads trips from Daddy and all those Friday night parties and monthly family nights). So if the enemy ever rears his nasty head and says "Why you?" You know. Because Christin said you were stinkin' amazing. *grin*

I pray that God will continue to strengthen your (and Jeff's) hearts towards the best next step. Whatever direction that leads.

just a question though...are you thinking state-side or international? :)

Sally said...

Wonderful! From the short time I have been reading your blog, I think you would be a terrific adoptive family. Andrew's brother and his wife are in the process of adopting a baby (have all the paperwork done, now just doing the waiting). I am happy for others to adopt, but I positively have not a single desire to adopt children. Don't ask me to explain it, but it's the truth.

Unknown said...

My sister-in-law is a single woman who has chosen to adopt. She has been accepted on the list to adopt a 2-year-old girl from China, although the timeframe is still uncertain. As such, I have been very interested in listening to many people discuss adoption lately. Please realise that I have no personal experience of adoption. And I sincerely understand that just giving one child a happy, safe world to grow up in is incredibly wonderful.
One thing that does concern me (and please just take this as a discussion point), was the opinion I heard which stated that by adopting healthy children from third-world countries, the first world was in effect robbing these countries of their future. Instead of receiving money to build infrastructure such as orphanages and schools, these countries were being left with children with AIDs and other disabilities, and losing the ability to educate staff in caring roles, provide jobs for local people, and give these children a chance to understand their culture.
It really is a perplexing question.

Anonymous said...

It's so inspiring to see how many lives your family has blessed. The Lord has a way of opening the doors at just the right time in just the right way. Praying that God will bless your family if and when the time is right!

Marie said...

I agree with Jaedan's mom, The timing of those doors are always a mystery. My parents wanted to adopt sense I was a small child and the timing so happened when I was 21 years old. I do know that God puts it in the hearts of those like my parents and like your sweet family! I love hearing adoption stories so thanks for sharing what's on your heart and your mind.