Thursday, May 22, 2008

Have I Mentioned...

...how much I enjoy shopping at thrift stores? When I can get a Caldecott Medal book for less than a dollar as I did today, it's a good thing. And this bath ring for $1.50 is a bargain, giving Tobin the opportunity for longer baths (which I'm convinced he will thoroughly enjoy, as he did tonight) but saving my back from breaking as I lean over the edge of the bathtub to hold him up (our previous mode of operation). I'm startled by how big he suddenly is--able to sit in this thing (well, lean to the side) like a baby, but not a newborn anymore.
David kept Tobin company in the bathtub tonight, and I could hardly get Tobin to look at me because he was so focused on his big brother who was showing Tobin his boats and actually pouring water on Tobin's arms and legs with them. As long as it wasn't on the head, I was OK with it...and so was Tobin. :)
**********

~ how much I enjoy living close to my parents? Of course, there are great grandparent moments like these...
...but here's another example of the benefits of living close. Josiah happened to mention after supper tonight that if Grandpa ever got rid of his typewriter at the office, Josiah would like to have it. Grandpa said, "Well, I have an extra typewriter stored in one of the closets at the office. Would you like it?" Of course, Josiah would like it! So a quick walk down the hill to the office to get it and back home again and Josiah was all set up to type on a real typewriter.
He had so much fun with this tonight, although to tell the truth, he took it very seriously. When he was a baby, we used to call him "Mr. Retzini" (the Hebrew word for "serious") because even when he was having fun, he was scholarly about it, full of focus and concentration. He was that way again tonight. You should have heard him click, clicking away on this old thing! Thanks, Grandpa!
Now, if I could just teach him to type the correct way since he's so interested in doing this. Anybody know of any typing programs for children? I remember way back in my childhood when we had a typing program for our computer that was like a car race. I sure loved that thing! But I have no idea what's out there these days for teaching children to type. I'll have to look around and see if I can find something...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Gosh, Tobin is getting big! It seems so quick!
And we do so love living next door to my parents, too. There are so many lovely moments, and Mum and Dad are so kind to Boo. Even today, Boo had an afternnon nap at Granny's house while she was pottering about the house, which meant I could work at the office rather than waiting at home for him to wake.

JFisher777 said...

This site has a fun typing program:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/levels/level1.shtml

Anonymous said...

Typing Instructor is great. We ordered it from Timberdoodle. My kids love it!

lizzy said...

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. It might be a little big for them, but I learned to type from Mavis and there are lots of games and fun lessons =)

The boys are just so cute! They are all getting so big!

Misty said...

I learned on Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing in school...Wow, Tobin sure resembles David in that first picture!!!

Anonymous said...

Tobin is getting so big! I am praying that I can live by my Mom soon. I'm glad that you appreciate it. I think so many people take it for granted.

Davene said...

Thanks so much for the suggestions, everyone! :)