Saturday, March 28, 2009

10 O'Clock on a Saturday Night...

...is perhaps not the best time to be deciding which songs I'll play tomorrow for the prelude and offertory during our church's worship service.  It really would have been smarter to choose my pieces much earlier in the week, and then I could have actually practiced them!  But instead, I never carved out even a five-minute gap in this crazy week to look through my music and plan for tomorrow.  The only thing that was planned in advance--and the part I'm most looking forward to--is playing two duets with Lily, my piano student, during the prelude.  That will be the musical highlight, for sure.  :)

Now that it's 11:00 PM, it's hardly the time to try to catch up on this past week (which went largely unrecorded because of family sickness--yes, again--and computer sickness--yes, again--and the most joyful reason of all, a visit from some of our Canadian relatives).  Here are two tidbits; that's all I can squeak out tonight...

We went to a homeschool day at the New Market Battlefield today and had a good time there.  Even though it was cool and damp, we did not get rained on (for which I was grateful); and the lighter attendance at the event actually came with a side benefit for us--more personal attention from the staff and volunteers!  The highlight for both Josiah and David was this soldier training in the mock boot camp.  They're such boys.  ;)

Changing the subject, I recently read this quote in the book Quiet Moments for a Woman's Heart:
The beauty of the house is order.
The blessing of the house is contentment.
The glory of the house is hospitality.
The crown of the house is godliness.
~ author unknown

As I look at that list of virtues (order, contentment, hospitality, godliness), I feel a deep desire to grow in all of those areas!  Yet I know that godliness is the one I most need to focus on because, from it, all the others will flow.  It's a ceaseless quest...

That is, until we find our true home in heaven.

1 comment:

Sally said...

That quote is oh, so true! I love an orderly house, and that is truly beautiful to me.

Ahh, the Sunday songs thing! Twice now, two Sundays in a row, I have been asked on the spot at the last minute to play because the regular pianist wasn't there. After last Sunday, I decided to run through the songs (which our pastor e-mails out) for this Sunday, just in case, so I wouldn't be caught so unawares if it happened again. It DID indeed happen again this Sunday, and let me tell you, that's life on the edge to walk up to the book and open it and just play--filler music and hymns to be sung. And, I am not that accomplished of a piano player! I hit plenty of wrong notes, but we keep going and I keep playing.