Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Things I've Jotted Down

ONLY ONE MORE DAY...

until I get to change my blog header.  :)

And--oh, yeah--tomorrow's my birthday, too!!!

********

As the days fly by, I sometimes hear something that one of the boys says or I notice something that they do, and I think to myself, "I must write that down!"  So into my planner goes a little note about whatever it was, along with a good intention to blog about it, and then...it never happens.

Today, I'm sorting through these random (VERY random!) notes and finally blogging about them! 

Going back in time...

March 18 - Josiah said he wants to have 17 kids...I'd better warn his wife  :)...I'm sure he got this idea in his head from a TV program about the Duggar family that we watched during our mini-vacation...since we don't have a TV here at home, one of the highlights of staying in a hotel for us is watching TV  :)...the boys want cartoons, of course; but during our evening in Virginia Beach, we overruled them and watched a very interesting program about the Duggars and some friends of theirs (another family with 17 kids, I think)...in about 30 years, it will be fun to remind Josiah of this day when he expressed his desire for a LARGE family!

March 16 - Tobin tasted brownies for the first time  :)

March 16 - on the same day, David asked, "Is my tongue a piece of food that got stuck in my mouth?"  :)

March 10 - for the first time, Tobin sat up by himself!!!...at least, this was the first time that I found him in a sitting position; maybe he's done it before when I didn't see him  :)...when I opened the door of his room on this day, there he was in his crib, sitting up and looking around the room so proudly...since then, he's done it a number of times; and for a while, he would sometimes fret after he had been in his crib for a little while but before he was done with his nap or even fell asleep...I would go in and find him in a sitting position--stuck--not sure how to get back to a laying-down position!...now he seems to have the hang of going both ways...Tobin is behind the "average" schedule with this accomplishment, but my boys are always at the later end of the normal range of large motor skill milestones so I'm not a bit worried

March 9 - it was a warm day, and I opened the windows for the first time this year...I am so happy to have windows open, and I miss that fresh air when I have to keep them shut

March 8 - first day this year without a fire in the woodstove

March 3- Tobin got his third tooth!...we were in Colonial Williamsburg, waiting for the guide in this particular building to start her talk; she didn't seem particularly interested in or fond of children (in contrast to the other guides we had encountered there who did an exceptional job interacting with the boys)...Jeff was holding Tobin on his lap, trying to keep him entertained and quiet, letting him gradually slide backwards (and Tobin thought it was great fun to be upside down!), when he noticed something new in Tobin's mouth...sure enough, Tobin's top right tooth had poked through!

end of February - I didn't write down exactly which day this occurred on, but Tobin ate bear for the first time!...we don't normally eat bear, but one of Jeff's customers had brought in some bear meat for him so we all had some of that...Tobin was quite fond of the burger made out of bear and venison meat...I tore off tiny chunks of it, and he managed to mash it up between his gums, and then clamored for more!...I certainly didn't eat bear when I was 13 months old  :)

end of February - I also jotted down during this week that David says "wen" for "then"...he can say the "th" sound if he focuses on it...when he says "30," he very consciously makes the "th" sound and does a very good job with it...but with the word "then," I haven't corrected him and helped him think about the "th" because I've been enjoying his cute little "wen" too much!...he'll say something like, "wen I'll put on my shoes, and wen I'll get my coat, and wen I'll go out with Daddy!"...and I love it  ;)

another thing about David's language development - David was in the habit of saying, "I wuv you," so Jeff started teasing him gently by saying back, "I wuv you, too"...when David heard it, he realized it wasn't correct so he concentrated and said, "I love you" and got it right...now he'll say, "I wuv you and I lllllove you" with a huge emphasis on the "l"...he's a sweetheart!

middle of February - I made a note that Tobin doesn't like applesauce, but does like pizza...whoever heard of a 13 month-old who doesn't like applesauce???...when I slip some in his mouth, he wrinkles up his face and acts like it's the worst thing in the world...silly boy  :)

February 14 - David was having a hard time going to bed and said, "When I'm an adult, I'm going to let my children stay up until midnight every night!"...we'll see about that, dear boy; we'll just see  :)

February 14 - also on this day, I wrote down something that David says once in a while...if he sneezes and nobody says, "Bless you," he'll pipe up with, "What do you say to me because I sneezed?" and then we'll remember and say, "Bless you"...he helps us mind our manners  :)

February 10 - Josiah says, "pregnick," instead of "pregnant"  :)

February 9 - Josiah had some exciting news to report to us, something he had heard from the neighbor girls about a traffic accident or something or other...the "facts" coming from his mouth didn't seem terribly convincing, but he was certainly delighted with his role as a reporter and he said over supper, "Do you think I'll be a news presser?"  :)

February 9 - I saw the first robin of the year, always an exciting reminder to me that spring truly will come again!

January 30 - Josiah exclaimed tenderly to me, "I can almost imagine freckles on your face!"...maybe that's because there are freckles on my face  :)...perhaps they're lighter than they used to be, but I can't imagine that they entirely disappeared...it's been a while since I've really studied my face in the mirror though so who knows?  anything's possible!...I often tell Josiah how much I love his freckles, and it seems that he thinks they're an entirely adorable feature to have  :)

end of January - David bragged to Josiah, "My cup is bigger than yours!"...but quickly added, "But that doesn't make me better"...ah, maybe he's finally getting this lesson I've been trying to drill into both of their heads, that winning a competition (whatever it may be about) is not as important as realizing and affirming the worth of each individual (don't get me wrong: I think some competition is healthy, and it's not necessary to be all about "we're all winners, I'm OK, you're OK, let's never keep score because it might damage your precious self-esteem, etc." all the time...but my boys are competitive to the nth degree, and it sometimes needs tamed down a tad!)

end of January - Josiah made up a song and sang it gleefully, "Narnia, Narnia, is waiting for you!"...I really wish I had captured that moment on video  :)

end of January - one day, David got into the playpen with Tobin; and I don't even know what he was doing, but he made Tobin laugh and laugh and laugh...I often think that the laughter of children is the sweetest sound I know

January 14 - I can't remember exactly what precipitated this, but David said earnestly with big eyes, "I don't want to go to school!"...although we don't know what the future holds and we take the educational decisions for our boys on a year-by-year basis, I do look forward to homeschooling him...I would miss him so much if I had to send him off to school!

13 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What cute notes!! Happy Birthday tomorrow, too...

Sally said...

This is priceless! Now, I feel like I feel a little guilty wishing Hannah was walking. With Tobin recently learning to sit up, I should be really thankful Hannah can furniture-walk. I thought mine were behind schedule! Hannah seems to be doing everything about the same time as Paul, including getting teeth.

Anyway, I loved reading your little snippets. Keep posting them!

Sarah said...

Sweet memories--I plan on keeping a list/journal too of all of the things Anna Claire says and does.

I love when I see the first robin of the season. It makes me smile.

jeanette said...

what a great idea-to jot down those notes!

and happy early birthday! :)

Misty said...

Since I will be heading out of town early in the morning I wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday!!!..we should get together when I get back and celebrate!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! :-)

I love that you wrote down all these little milestones and memories! It's neat to watch the boys grow!

Luke Holzmann said...

Happy Birthday!

~Luke

Sarah-Anne said...

Hi Davene,
I've been a faithful follower of your blog for awhile now...what better way to make myself, a total stranger, mind you, known just to wish you a happy birthday!
All sarcasm aside...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Sarah-Anne

Michelle said...

I love the new photo of the boys! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!

Heart of Wisdom Academy said...

I love your current photo, the boys are really getting big! Happiest Birthday to you!

Bea said...

Happy Birthday! Your April Blog Header photo is adorable.

bekahcubed said...

Ditto on the Happy Birthday--and I love the photo header!

Sally said...

Happy birthday! I love that new picture for your header!