Monday, March 2, 2009

In Like a Polar Bear

March came in like a polar bear for us: cold and snowy. We've heard reports of other areas on the East Coast that are experiencing the "in like a lion" kind of March, but our storms yesterday and today have been very mild and our snowfall only a few inches. Last night and the night before, we got snow during the night, but only enough here in our immediate area to barely cover the grass. Yesterday the snow melted almost completely during the day; today, with colder temperatures, we're hanging on to a little of it--not much though. Just enough to beautify the landscape from our front window...
...and give our friendly Old Order Mennonite neighbor-down-the-road-a-piece a chance to come over and scrape off our driveway and my dad's parking lot this morning.
When I told the boys that states north of us were expecting up to 15 inches of snow, Josiah's immediate response was that we should go there. Right now! I wish, for their sake, that we had had a really big snowstorm this year. I suppose we still could, but I'm not holding my breath. Interestingly, the farmer's almanac predicted this particular snowstorm; and it also says that there are three more periods in March in which we could get snow. We shall see how reliable that ol' thing is. :)

I was glad that the snow came today because we didn't have to go anywhere and could stay home by our lovely fire and be cozy. (All except Jeff, of course, who with his trusty Jeep, made his way to the barbershop at the regular time this morning.) The boys and I did school this morning; and when we were discussing how Alexander the Great became king at age 20, I asked the boys what they thought they would be doing at that age. Josiah said he would be working as a barber in the barbershop; and David, after some hesitation, said he thought he would be in college. Then he went on to remind me of his plans to first become a race car driver, then be an astronaut, and then be a bird! The boy can dream, can't he? :)

Besides school, my big project of the day has been laundry: loads and loads and loads of it. To keep my energy up this afternoon and to entice myself to stay at my laundry basket and fold and fold and fold until every piece was folded and put away, I put on my Sonic Praise CD. That never fails to get me on my feet, doing something productive. It's my secret weapon which I don't use nearly often enough!

I love the beginning of a new week... ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go David--college, race car driver, astronaut, bird...
The sky's the limit!

Misty said...

David sounds like me..I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up..lol! My sister who livs in central New Jersey got over 8 inches of snow! I'm glad we didn't here. It is pretty but it sure is a pain.

Margie said...

I only heard about the East Coast snowstorm yesterday from a friend, and am glad for your sake that it wasn't that bad. Elizabeth has been asking about snow, and said our next Christmas will be snowy and that we'll have snowball fights and make snow angels and drink hot chocolate. I told her that sounded pretty good! Looks like this year we'll be entirely snow-less. Wish we had a handy almanac to consult!