Monday, March 9, 2009

Slooooooowwwwww

That's how everything feels today: very, very slow.

This computer, for one, is giving us fits.  I have no idea what's wrong with it, but Jeff has been dealing with it for several days, putting lots of time and energy into finding the problem(s) and fixing it/them.  He did remark recently that he'd found some Trojan viruses, which makes me thankful all over again that he is the one dealing with the computer because I know more about the Trojan War than I do about Trojan viruses and would be throwing my hands up in despair if I had to think about it.  As it stands now, the computer works...a little bit...some websites...but not others...sometimes...and always slowly.  I realize anew how much I've come to rely on blogs to stay connected with my friends; I feel quite disconnected since I haven't been able to check in and see what's going on in the blog circles I frequent!  And for my own blog and email, I have been limping along, not able to participate like I would prefer, still having pictures and stories from our trip to share, along with other thoughts and happenings from the past few days, not responding to emails because I can't get into it, etc.  There's nothing like a computer glitch to make me realize how dependent I am on it!

But the computer is not the only thing that's going slowly today.  Life, in general, has downshifted to a snail's pace.  All day, I've been traveling at the speed of "Mommy, my head hurts; will you snuggle with me?"  That, to be sure, is not a very fast speed; and I'll win no prizes for numerous accomplishments today.  However, it is a fun speed, as long as I relax and let myself travel it with contentment.  "Sure, David, I'll snuggle with you on the couch.  Here's a pillow and a blanket.  Are you all tucked in?  Shall we have a little nap together?"  :)

To his credit, Josiah has been quite self-sufficient today and has been a splendid help as he takes care of his own needs and lets me focus on the younger two.  I had to laugh when Josiah got his own breakfast.  You'll never guess what he chose.  Spinach!  A bowl of fresh spinach, and a glass of milk, and he was a happy little man.  How crazy is that?!?!  :)  For lunch, he had a much more sensible choice:  Wheat Thins.  :)

Well, now that it's 3:00 PM, maybe I'd better start my morning tasks.  Tobin is in bed for his afternoon nap, and Josiah and David are having quiet time, so maybe--just maybe--I'll have a chance to do a few things and straighten up a little around here before someone else needs me.  But if not--hey, there's always tomorrow!

How about a picture to close?  This was the sunrise over the Atlantic that we saw from our hotel room last Wednesday morning in Virginia Beach.  It reminds me that tomorrow is another day.  Who knows what joys and challenges it will hold?  :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Spinach for breakfast! That did make me laugh. Yes, often you have to just let go of plans in order to really live the moment, and embrace what you're doing rather than what you wish you were doing.

Sally said...

Ditto for what morning said. Living in the moment. It won't always be that they'll want to snuggle when they don't feel good--and I have to remind myself of that. I've been spending some extra time with Hannah right now. She still isn't well.

Bonnie said...

You're boys are, say, and do the cutest things!
I feel your pain with the slow computer, it took nearly half an hour this morning AFTER I had logged on just to be able to start going around the net!
Beautiful picture BTW. Friends and I visited Virginia Beach November of '98. We went wading, and surprisingly, none of us got sick!

Unknown said...

Spinach!!! Silly boy...
I love when they want to snuggle with you! :-)

Margie said...

Those slow days are hard, but not having a good working computer adds a little frustration. Our computer friends are pretty vital to getting through our days, sometimes. Loved hearing about the spinach, and especially loved that morning picture. Inspiring.

Emily Joy said...

Hi Davene! Sorry about your down computer! I really like that picture of the beach :) Yes, that's fine if you bring the jars Friday. Thanks a lot!

~Emily Joy