Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Diagnosis...and An Award

As it turns out, the headache that I labeled a migraine (in this post) is more likely to have been "just" a sinus headache, produced by the pressure of a sinus infection.  Although it shared characteristics of a migraine (one characteristic at least: excruciating pain), it did not include the vision disturbances that are so common with migraines nor the nausea associated with true migraines.  (To be exact, I did have a tiny bit of nausea with it, but just a little...probably caused by the all-consuming pain.)  Anyway, last Friday evening when my parents were up here for supper, I told Dad that I still felt a small amount of pain behind that eye, as well as stuffiness in my head, so he went to work and started poking and prodding to determine the culprit.

First, he pushed on the sides of my neck, checking my lymph glands, I suppose.  At his typical doctor question of "does this hurt?", I told him that I was sure if he pushed anywhere hard enough, it would indeed hurt...but that no, that particular location was not extremely sensitive.  

Then it was on to the sides of my nose with the same question, and I said, "No, that doesn't hurt, but don't push like that on this spot above my right eye, or it will...OW!!!!!" (as he matter-of-factly pushed on that very spot).

"Yep, it's a sinus infection," he said calmly.  "Do you have any antibiotics here?  Let's get you started on one."  

I'm not quick to jump on the antibiotics bandwagon, but that night I didn't hesitate an instant and have been faithfully taking Amoxicillin ever since (well, except for that 24 hour intestinal virus episode when I couldn't keep anything down; that put quite a crimp in my 3x-a-day medicine taking).

Isn't it ironic that with all the high-tech gadgets and diagnostic tools doctors have available, sometimes the most effective means is just fingers poking the places that hurt?

********

On a happier note, Michelle from Somerset Cottage graciously gave me an award some time ago.  I am always extremely honored to receive an award, so thank you, Michelle, so very much!  It truly means a lot to me!!!  
Here is the description of this award:

The Love Ya Blog Award~ These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award. 

Here are my nominees:
Jo Ann at Just As I Am - Jo Ann's blog is relatively new to me.  She always makes me laugh, and I won a give-away on her blog...so I'm a big fan.  :)
H at First Things First - H is a friend from high school days that I've enjoyed reconnecting with through blogging.
Sarah at Nesting in Pleasant View - Sarah has an incredible story of trusting God through times of loss and times of gain.  Recently she's been blessed with a beautiful daughter, Anna Claire.
Jeanette at Blessed by Baseballs and Bows - Jeanette's family includes biological and adopted children, and I admire her ability to be real as she mothers with strength and grace.

I know the award said to nominate 8, but I'm going to stop at 4 because I need to do a few things now before we head out the door to Josiah's last session of SVCC for the spring.  All the blogs I've listed in my sidebar are meaningful to me and all deserve an award in my book.  :)

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds like Dr. Dad to the rescue is just what you needed!! On to the road of recovery!:-) (don't forget to take acidophilus along with the antibiotic)


I hope you start feeling human again.

hugs!

Valerie said...

Haven't been around to comment for awhile, but I'm still reading. :)

Glad to hear that it's "just" a sinus infection. Put migraines back in your "nope, never had it" list. :)

We're all suffering some sinus nastiness over here too. I'm headed back to the couch for another nap.

Sarah said...

Congratulations on your award and thank you for passing it along to me!

I'm glad to know it is a sinus infection--when I get them it feels like I have been hit by a train, so I can understand how you felt.

jeanette said...

you're so lucky to have a dad who's a doctor -and who lives so close. :)

thank you for the award. :) what fun!

Sally said...

Ugh! Sounds like no fun at all, but at least you know what it is and can treat it. If I've ever had a sinus infection, it must have been along with general sickness and I didn't single it out. Maybe I've never had one. Anyway, I sure don't want one! Isn't it neat how just bare-bones assessment can yield so much information? That and basic labs are just invaluable. I use my assessment skills on my little family here, and it lets me know if we need to go to the dr. or not. I just ordered myself an otoscope so I can check for ear infections without going to the doctor. I should have gotten one a long time ago. I ordered a really cheap one, and I hope it works! If you ever don't live next to your dad, you might need to get one.

Heart of Wisdom Academy said...

I'm glad you're better for real thing time! Have a good week.

Jo Ann said...

Samuel just got put on Amoxicillin. I'm not one to quickly use them either, but this time I couldn't wait to fill it! :) Glad to hear you are doing better.

And wow, thank you for the bloggie love. :) An honor.

Misty said...

I was glad to hear that you are feeling better. Thanks for stopping by yesterday! You really looked great!