Thursday, November 1, 2007

Hallelujah Party

What to do with Halloween???

The origins of this holiday are not great...although that could realistically be said for almost every major holiday we celebrate. Jeff's family, during his growing-up years, celebrated Halloween in traditional American ways; my family did not, substituting harvest parties and dressing up like Bible characters for trick-or-treating and scary costumes. We have people that we love and respect in our life that do celebrate Halloween, as well as people that we love and respect equally well that do not celebrate it. So, how to deal with it?

Fortunately, our new church had a Hallelujah Party last night that was a whole bunch of fun without having any of the darker aspects of Halloween celebration. The boys got to dress up...there were various activities, including hayrides...at the end of the night, they each got a bag of candy...the adults enjoyed seeing friends and talking outside the context of a Sunday morning service...so all in all, it was a great evening: all the best aspects of a holiday without the dark side!
~ Jeff and the boys on the hayride (which I decided not to go on because I didn't think I could climb on and off the wagon gracefully at all) :)
~ David with our friend Holly...I'm so grateful for the friendliness of the older kids in the church to my boys; it's so nice to have someone like Holly say, "Here, David, let me hold you" or "Want to go through the maze with me?"
~ cutest little pumpkin and most handsome little cowboy I've EVER seen! :)

No comments: