Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Another Tragedy, Another Wake-up Call

Once again, after reading this story, I am filled with unspeakable sadness. It seems that every so often, some tragedy happens that knocks me off my feet for a while. Of course, tragedies happen every day, every hour, every second. But only occasionally do they come so close as to cast noticeable ripples into the smooth pool of my life. This story did that.


I did not know the Showalter family personally, but my dad has been the long-time family doctor (which, in this kind of town, usually equals "friend") of Scott Showalter's parents. In fact, Dad delivered Scott 34 years ago.

These things make this particular tragedy hit my heart deeply:
~ personally knowing dairy farmers and thinking, "It could have happened to any of them"
~ our neighbors and good friends Douglas and Wilma being in the Mennonite community and knowing the Showalters (and their families) personally
~ visualizing the little country lane where Scott's wife's parents live, and imagining their grief at losing a daughter, son-in-law, and two grandchild at the same time
~ having children close in age to the two surviving children in the family, and thinking about how my boys would respond if something were to happen to Jeff and I...the thought of the 6 year-old daughter having to live life with this experience permanently embedded in her mind and heart makes me want to cry

I KNOW that God brings healing...and I know He works all things for good...and I know His ways are higher than our ways...and I know the deep faith and trust of the Mennonites. But seen from our earthly vantage point, it still is so sad.

Last night as I knelt between Josiah and David's beds as I tucked them in for the night, I once again could not believe how overwhelmingly blessed I am. As we named our family members in prayer, the awareness of how quickly life can change and loved ones can be taken made my routine "thank You, God, for Daddy...thank You for Josiah...thank You for David...thank You for our baby...thank You for..." amazingly fervent.

As I continue to remember and pray for the families and friends involved in this situation, I see my gratefulness for the blessings in my life increase. I need wake-up calls like this every so often, but I sure wish it didn't take such a horrible accident to remind me of this.


2 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm so sad to hear about this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and your community.

Melissa

Anonymous said...

I too was deeply moved by this incident. I just can't stop thinking of two little girls following their momma and seeing both parents dead. My heart goes to this family but like you I rejoice in the graces of God.
drbob