Friday, July 6, 2007

Fun Fourth

Our 4th of July celebration began with breakfast out--a rare treat for us, but obviously not a really original thought on this holiday, judging by the number of other people we encountered in the two restaurants we visited (first one was too crowded, so we left). Then we dropped Jeff off to give plasma while the boys and I ran some errands. When we returned, we discovered that it hadn't worked out for him to give plasma after all, so he had been waiting (a long time!) for us to return. It did, however, give him time to read a paper for a university course he's taking! There's no great loss without some small gain!
In the evening, we had the pleasure and privilege of going to the home of some friends of ours for a potluck, outdoor recreation, and a fabulous fireworks display. Edwin's fireworks are legendary; I've literally never seen a private display as fantastic as his! And Mary is the epitome of hospitality. Our family has known theirs for years, and Jeff and I have reaped the benefits of that friendship in some very practical ways. For example, before we got married, Mary hosted a bridal shower for me during which I was LAVISHED with gifts. And Mary, along with a few other friends, was in charge of the reception after our wedding. We are certainly grateful for all their acts of service on our behalf!!!
During the fireworks this year, David sat calmly in my lap and only jerked in fright a few times--a significant improvement over last year when the sight and sound of the fireworks were so terrifying for him that he cried and cried and we had to take refuge in the house! This year, he delighted in telling us what color the fireworks were...or how big they were...or just saying, "Wow!" He was so relaxed as he reclined sideways against my arm that I thought surely if it had been less noisy, he might have fallen asleep. He was definitely a tired boy that night, but what a treat to stay up WAY past his bedtime for such a special celebration!
One thing is for sure--it's much more fun to be in the USA on the 4th of July, rather than in another country!
At our local book fair this past week (which attracts people from all over the East Coast), I bought a book for the boys called Happy Birthday, America; and as we read that together yesterday, I found myself fighting back tears. I am not at all a gung-ho "America-is-always-right" kind of a person. I am, however, extremely grateful to be an American. I am also equally as grateful to have had the opportunity to spend a significant amount of time outside of the U.S. and, consequently, have a broader view of the world than some who never escape the boundaries of this fair land. But, oh, reading that book to my boys sure brought out the emotional side of me. :) I do love my country.
~ the BEST bubble blowers can always be found in this backyard...the sword bubble blower was a big hit this year
~ "wow...fire!...this is cool!...hope I don't get burned" says Mr. Cautious

No comments: