Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Boys' Room

Josiah's room is now known by a new name--the boys' room--since he is no longer the sole occupant of it. Little brother David moved across the hall from the baby's room into this room in preparation for a new baby arriving on the scene, so before we had David make the move, we took the opportunity to do some painting and redecorating here.

I don't really have any "before" pictures; but basically all the walls (and ceiling) were white, and the beds were put together as bunk beds. I'm sure at some point down the road, we will put them back together as bunk beds; but for now, our cautious first-born did not want to sleep on the top bunk, and we didn't think it wise to put our less-cautious second-born up on the top. So we took the beds apart, and it's working out great!

Choosing the wallpaper border was a group project, with both Jeff and Josiah having significant input in the choice of a border with antique fire engines on it. I was very happy with it: it's boyish, and the color of the fire trucks went nicely with the deep red color I wanted for the bottom half of the walls.

There are still several other things I want to do in this room--mostly, hanging shelves (which are now in the process of being painted) on the walls to have more display area, framing a painting done by Jeff's father and hanging that, putting up a curtain at the window (I have the material for it, but since I sadly can't sew--unlike so many of the talented ladies in blogland--I'm relying on my neighbor to actually put it together for me!), getting more picture frames and arranging those on the walls, and touching up the paint a little. But definitely the big stuff in this project is done; and for that, I heartily thank my own dearly beloved Jeff who labored long and hard in that room. I wasn't much help, and he certainly did the lion's share of the work. I am very grateful!!!
~ general view of the room
~ I'm addicted to creeping into the room at night and seeing these two boys that I adore more than words can say each curled up in their bed sleeping soundly...they are so cute and lovable!...I can easily see myself as the kind of mother who wakes up in the middle of the night and tiptoes into the room of her 16 year-old to make sure he's still breathing and to give him another kiss :)
~ a dresser that a friend GAVE us just fit into this nook
~ my favorite part of the room (besides the two boys sleeping in it) is the ceiling: a deep midnight blue with white stars, moon, and planets painted on it...I have had this idea in the back of my head for my boys' room for YEARS, and it's fulfilling to see it in real life--and to like it even more now than I did when it was just in my head (it doesn't always turn out that way, you know!) :)
~ my all-time favorite vacation spot is the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and this lighthouse nightlight is a fun reminder of that beloved stretch of sand

2 comments:

New Mom said...

OOh, the room looks so beautiful! You guys did an awesome job! Love the red combined with the color of the flooring. And I think you should leave the beds just as they are. I love twin beds side by side. I think it's charmingly old fashioned.

Davene said...

Thanks, New Mom! I know you had asked about pics LONG ago; I'm so sorry I didn't get any up until now!

I, too, love the look of the beds side by side. The only problem is space limitations. The room is fairly large, but the beds are both actually double beds, not twin. We were so glad to find a bunk bed that was double over double, and we have actually slept four people on that bunk bed when we had guests...so it definitely comes in handy. The beds fit into the room fine for now; but as the boys get older and need more furniture (desk, maybe another dresser at some point), I'm not sure it will work with the beds apart.

At any rate, I'm very pleased with the room now; and we'll figure out the future as it comes!!! :)