Tuesday, July 3, 2007

First Blossom

Remember the magnolia trees Jeff gave me for my birthday this year? Well, wonder of wonders, they didn't die! In fact, all four of them are doing well; and even after a quite severe pruning job a week or so ago by a novice and her mother (consisting of conversations like: "Do you think I should cut this branch off?" "I don't know; what do you think?" "Yeah, I think I should." and thwack, there goes another branch), they seem to be thriving. My dad called me from his office today to let me know that from the window of the office bathroom, there was a fine view of the one magnolia blossom we got this year! I'm sure he's very grateful that the bathroom view was beautified! Anyway, after supper, the boys and I had to take a trip down the hill to see the blossom and take pictures...and then it was off to the fringe trees (my birthday gift from Jeff in 2006) to prune them. After all, if my magnolias didn't die after I pruned them, I must be kind of an expert now, right? With the faithful guidance of my resident gardening expert (my mother, in case anyone needs to be reminded of this) and a little research on the internet, I was all set. At the end of our labor tonight, my mother and I thought the fringe trees looked a lot better. If they survive their surgery and live another year, I'll be grateful!!! :)

No comments: